Authors: Luke Cornish

CSU junior Martin Laird took second place in the Mountain West Conference Men’s Golf Championships after losing to New Mexico’s Michael Letzig on a playoff hole.

The Rams as a whole finished in sixth place despite being fourth prior to the third round.

The tournament was held at the Sunriver Resort in Sunriver, Ore., and finished play Saturday. After shooting a 70 on Thursday and a 66 Friday, Laird finished at the top of the field and held a convincing three-stroke lead.

It wasn’t to be though, since his 74-stroke round three allowed Letzig (69) to make up the five strokes he was trailing by at day’s beginning. With the individual championship in a dead heat, the match went to one extra hole.

With Laird failing to be able to sink it in four on the par-4, 386-yard first hole, par was all it took for Letzig to claim the individual championship and secure the MWC Championship for the Lobos.

The team battle was less intense and CSU was never higher than fourth place at the end of the day. On the last day, the team shot a 297, nine shots higher than round two and 10 shots higher than round one.

Coming in second for CSU was junior Nolan Martin, whose impressive 69 in the first round was drowned out by rounds of 75 and 76, respectively. Martin’s 18th-place finish was just one stroke ahead of senior Geoff Nuwash, who finished tied for 20th place after a three-day total of 221.

Senior Tommy Sharp finished tied for 30th place with his 79 in the second round holding him back as he totaled 226 over the 54 holes. Junior Brett Tobyne, who finished 15th at last week’s BYU Cougar Classic, rounded out the field after shooting 228 and tied for 33rd place.

The Rams, who have finished in the top 10 of every tournament they have played in this season, will now wait to see if an NCAA Championship invitation is extended to them.