Authors: J.J. Babb

As an incredible student and community volunteer, senior Jeffrey Carroll became one more thing last Friday night: the winner of the Albert C. Yates Student Leadership Award.

“He’s an incredible student. He takes a huge class load and then turns around and gives of himself all the time,” said Nancy Farrell, alumni relations and outreach coordinator for the engineering program.

Carroll, who received the award Friday at CSU’s Alumni Association’s Distinguished Alumni Awards Dinner, will be graduating in May with honors, a 3.95 GPA and a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering and an interdisciplinary study emphasis in biomedical engineering.

“He truly is amazing,” Farrell said.

Carroll’s honors include:

* Being named to the dean’s list for the College of Engineering

* Winning the Engineering Scholars Award

* Winning the President’s Scholar Award at CSU

* Participating in the university’s Honors Program

While taking 19 credits this semester, Carroll found the time to serve as a teaching assistant for two of the department’s largest freshman engineering seminar classes and grade homework assignments for a junior-level class.

Carroll also stays involved on campus by being a member of the following:

* Member of the Golden Key National Honor society,

* Treasurer for the Eta Kappa Nu Honor Society for engineering students

* Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers

* Participant in the CSU Cycling Club

“He is just a real can-do kind of guy,” said Derek Lile, head of the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering. “He’s been involved in the department in so many ways. He’s just an energetic and very competent individual.”

He also works at the works at the Center for Central Auditory Research that focuses on enhancing speech intelligibility for children and adults with central auditory processing disorders.

This employment will help Carroll in his future career goal as a medical researcher after attending medical school, although helping people will not be a new thing for Carroll, who spends much of his time assisting those in the Fort Collins community.

His community activities include:

* Organizing a successful Thanksgiving food drive for families in the Fort Collins community

* Volunteering to tutor a local high school student in math

* Helping raise money for the Colorado Outward Bound program by running a 24-hour relay race

* Coaching high school baseball in the summers

* Member of a team training for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and raising pledges for their marathon in San Diego June 1

* Active member of the Pax Christi Catholic Church

“He’s just that kind of person,” Farrell said. “He gives of himself all the time and always has a smile on his face.”