Authors: Stephanie Lindberg

James Carville and Mary Matalin have brought two political sides into one household and will share their story on Tuesday.

The two will come to Moby Arena at 7 p.m. to speak about compromise and finding shared values, as part of the Bridges to the Future: American Values in light of Sept. 11 lecture series.

“The idea behind the lectures this year is to create a dialogue among students about America and what it means to live here now,” said Cord Brundage, the director of campus outreach for the Associated Students of CSU.

Carville, a political consultant and co-host of CNN’s “Crossfire,” has a long list of electoral success of turning an underdog into an upset winner. In 1991, Carville worked on the campaign that sent Bill Clinton to the presidency in 1992. In 1993, Carville was honored as Campaign Manager of the Year.

Matalin, currently a consultant to Vice President Dick Cheney, has been a political commentator and was one of the founders of the political talk show “Equal Time” which began in 1993. She was the co-host of the show for three years until just after the 1996 Republic National Convention.

While both Matalin and Carville have political backgrounds, Brundage said the discussion will not be just about politics.

“What they can say is, ‘Okay here we are. We all have differences. How do we get along?'” Brundage said. “It’s not a conversation about politics, it’s about differences. That’s something we can all benefit from.”

As of Friday afternoon, the Campus Info Desk reported they had handed out about 6,000 tickets for the free event.

John Straayer, a political science professor at CSU, encourages students to go to the event.

“I think it’s good for all citizens and certainly students to be exposed to political issues,” said Straayer. “It’s an opportunity to be educated and entertained.”

Anyone interested in attending can still pick up a free ticket at the Campus Info Desk in the Lory Student Center.