Rams sweep away hail, Lobos

Authors: Joelle Milholm

Weather tried to stop the CSU-New Mexico games again on Wednesday, but rain and hail slowed up just enough to let the Rams finish their sweep of the Lobos with 4-0 and 8-2 victories.

CSU finishes the season series 4-0 against New Mexico, and with the wins, the Rams improve to 31-12 overall, giving them their first 30-win season since 1998. The team moved into fourth place all-time for CSU for most wins in one season.

New Mexico dropped to 21-34-1.

“It is a really great feeling to win 30 games,” assistant coach Tonja Hadley said. “It is a big turnaround from last year.”

The Rams played the doubleheader Wednesday after the original April 5 date was rained out.

In the first game, the Rams got out to a quick 4-0 lead and kept it. Junior pitcher Megan Masser threw a complete game, only allowing New Mexico two hits.

Masser’s record improved to 15-5 with the win and the game was the Rams’ 13th shutout of the year.

Rain and hail started to fall at the completion of the first game and delayed the start of the second. As the team removed the tarp from the field to resume play, an eight-inch-high line of hail extending from third base to second base pushed the game back even further.

When the weather started to cooperate, CSU extended its winning streak to four games by again beating New Mexico, this time by a score of 8-2. After getting off to a three-run lead, the Rams had a three-run third inning to double their score.

Freshman Genevieve Kelly hit a line drive up the middle with the bases loaded, driving in two runs. A fielder’s choice followed to bring around the third run.

New Mexico hit back-to-back homers off Kelly to start the fourth inning, but failed to produce any more runs the rest of the game.

The Rams added two more runs in the fourth inning when Steph Roberts nailed a double to center and senior Jen Mahoney laid down a bunt to put runners at the corners. Then, junior Ricki Walker hit a base-clearing double to left-center to make the score 8-2.

Kelly picked up the win, improving her record to 8-3. Masser entered the game in relief and pitched two scoreless innings to give her nine shutout innings on the day.

“I am feeling really good,” Masser said. “I am confident out there and it is always good to pitch at home.”

CSU’s Mountain West Conference record now stands at 10-6, while New Mexico’s dropped to 4-12. With BYU not playing until this weekend and remaining at 9-6, the Rams moved into second place in the conference behind San Diego State (10-1). New Mexico fell to last place behind Utah and UNLV.

CSU will now host doubleheaders with San Diego State at 1 p.m. on Friday and UNLV at noon on Sunday for its final regular season games of the year.