Authors: Luke Cornish

The CSU men’s golf team travels to Sunriver, Ore., today to take part in the Mountain West Conference Championships. The 54-hole tournament will be held at the Sunriver Resort and will finish on Sunday.

CSU won its first tournament of the season at the BYU Cougar Classic over the weekend, and the Rams will look for junior Martin Laird to come up big for them again in the championships. Last weekend, he led CSU to its victory behind a tournament-winning, three-round, seven-under par performance.

Laird won the individual title at the championships last year and will be looking to take his first ever back-to-back title.

The performance earned Laird the title of Mountain West Golfer of the Month, making him the first Ram in school history to receive the honor. Laird currently leads the team with a 71.3-stroke average per round, which places him third in the conference and puts him on pace for the CSU season record.

Snapping at his feet is junior Nolan Martin, who has only finished out of the top 20 spot three times in this his first season playing Division I golf. Martin finished tied for third place at the Classic and will need to be on top of his game if the Rams are able to repeat their success against the Mountain West’s tough competition.

“(Martin) has been playing great golf for us all season,” CSU head coach Jamie Bermel said. “UNLV and San Diego State are very good teams and we will have to focus to be able to beat them.”

Bermel will go with the same team he used in Provo to win the Cougar Classic. Senior Geoff Nuwash was on that team in his first tournament of the season, and managed to impress the coach with a three-round total of 216 that was good enough to earn him eighth place.

“(Nuwash) played really well so I’m definitely sending him to the conference championships,” Bermel said.