Authors: Gabriel Dance

Did you feel the vibe at the Gov’t Mule / O.A.R. (pronounced O-A-R) concert Tuesday night?

How about when Warren Haynes of Gov’t Mule was tearing through riffs while Matt Abts sounded absolutely intent on destroying his drum set with a barrage of intense rhythm?

If not then what about when Abts followed his rhythmic assault up with an intense drum solo while only he was on the stage with the entire crowd cheering and whistling, enamored by his intensity and skill?

You had to feel the vibe by that point . . .

How about when the entire crowd rose to give a standing ovation as O.A.R. took the stage to perform? Or when Marc Roberge and Richard On played Paul McCartney’s “Blackbird” as an acoustic performance?

Yeah, now you’re starting to feel the vibe.

The cover of U2’s “Sunday Bloody Sunday” almost brought the house down, and when the band left the stage without performing their signature song you knew we were in for something special. Sure enough, after about five minutes of intense applause, shouts, and whistles the band returned to the stage and after a brief intro launched into “That Was a Crazy Game of Poker.” With more than half of the crowd joining him, Roberge soared through the lyrics highlighted by a brief flirtation with The Police song “So Lonely” and Bob Marley’s “No Woman No Cry,” effectively closing out the night.

The concert was impressive in many aspects. Being fortunate enough to have headliners such as Gov’t Mule was underscored by Roberge’s comment that “there are some points in a career that are highlights, and we feel that playing with Gov’t Mule is definitely one of them.”

The vibe was righteous. With a mix of people not seen often on CSU’s campus the same vibe was coming from the older man with a four-inch Mohawk in the front row to the fraternity brothers filling the bleachers and on to the dread headed music lovers dancing like contortionists in slow motion. Everyone was feeling the music and the atmosphere.

Roberge quoted a wise man at one point during the show, “one good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

I think everybody was feeling pretty good Tuesday night.