Rams look for 30-win season

Authors: Joelle Milholm

For the first time since 1998, the CSU softball team has a chance to win 30 games in one season.

The team holds a 29-12 record and the opportunity to chalk up another win will come today when it hosts a doubleheader against New Mexico.

The Lobos come into the series with a 21-32-1 overall record and their 4-10 Mountain West Conference record ties them with UNLV for last place. The Rams’ 8-6 record is No. 3 in conference behind BYU and San Diego State.

CSU enters the game riding a two-game winning streak and just completed the best offensive showing of the year against Utah. The Rams hit seven home runs and had a team batting average of .349 in the two games against the Utes.

“We are just going to try to keep swinging the way we were against Utah,” head coach Mary Yori said. “I am hoping we can just carry that over and score a few more runs than usual.”

CSU leadoff hitter Steph Roberts lit up the Utes by hitting .500. She hit five RBIs, three home runs, and scored four times in the two games. Roberts has recorded at least one hit in 11 of her last 12 games, and the Rams are 22-3 when Roberts scores a run.

When the two teams last faced each other April 5, CSU took both games by scores of 1-0 and 6-2. New Mexico leads the all-time series with a 41-27 record against CSU.

Freshman shortstop Ashley VanBoxmeer will be the biggest threat at the plate for the Rams with a .358 batting average, 31 RBIs and nine long balls.

The Lobos have hit 17 homers as a team compared to 12 for the Rams.

New Mexico ace Amy Dumas has an 11-14 record with a 2.25 ERA and a MWC-leading 156 strikeouts. Ram ace Megan Masser has a 13-5 record and in her last head-to-head match up with Dumas, she got the 1-0 victory.

As a team, the Lobos have a 2.97 ERA while their opponents have a 2.56 ERA. UNM has a team batting average of .269 and its opponents are hitting .270.

The first game of the doubleheader is at noon today with the second game scheduled for 2:30 p.m. The Rams will also host San Diego State in a doubleheader on Friday, followed by another doubleheader with UNLV on Sunday.