Authors: Adrienne Hoenig

The search for CSU’s new chief of University Police has been narrowed to three candidates.

“We started out with 69 applications,” said Earlie Thomas, director of environmental health services and chair of the search committee. “In our opinion, these three have risen to the top.”

The candidates are Dexter Yarbrough, Troy Smith and Richard Thomas.

“All three are very exceptional and very qualified individuals,” said Brendan Burns, director of student activities for the Associated Student of CSU and a member of the search committee.

Each of the three candidates will undergo several interviews, from different outlets on campus and throughout Fort Collins. It will be important for the new chief to be able to communicate with students, faculty, Fort Collins Police Services and other members of the community, Earlie Thomas said.

“We’re looking for someone that has good leadership qualities first of all,” Thomas said. “We’re looking for someone who can come into the community as opposed to just being a cop.”

CSUPD Capt. Bob Chaffee has faith in the search committee’s ability to select the right candidate.

“I’m hoping for someone who has fabulous leadership skills,” Chaffee said. “I have very high hopes that that’s possible given the make-up of the search committee.”

Outbox

* Dexter Yarbrough is currently the Chief of Police at the University of Wisconsin – Parkside. He has also served as a Community Policing Liaison, Tactical Team Member, Patrol Officer, Executive Protection Specialist, Narcotics Investigator and Police Officer with the Chicago Police Department. Yarbrough also taught has experience teaching police recruits at Harold Washington College in Chicago and criminal justice courses at the University of Wisconsin – Parkside. He would like to bring management and leadership skills to CSUPD.

* Troy Smith is currently the Executive Director for the Colorado Department of Public Safety: Colorado Regional Community Policing Institute & Colorado Police Corps. Smith has also served as a Watch Commander and Administrative Support Commander for the Thornton Police Department. He was a Sergeant, Team Leader and Patrol Officer for the North Metro Task Force in Adams County. Smith has previous university policing experience from the University of Northern Colorado where he was a student officer and a patrol officer. He is an advocate for community oriented policing and organizational change.

* Richard Thomas is currently the Chief of Police for the Beloit Police Department in Beloit, Wisconsin. He has worked with the Beloit Police Department since 1974 as a Patrol Officer, Sergeant, Administrative Captain and Deputy Chief of Police. Thomas also served with the United States Marine Corps. Thomas is continuously challenging his police department to continue to improve and become an integral part of their community.