Authors: Luke Cornish

Hansson sets record

Despite losing its first match to Brigham Young, the CSU women’s tennis team took fifth place in the Mountain West Conference Championships in San Diego, Calif., over the weekend.

The No. 5-seeded Rams lost to the No. 4-seeded BYU Cougars 6-2 in the first round of the tournament, but went on to sweep eighth-seeded Wyoming (4-0) and No. 7 Utah (4-1) to take the consolation prize.

The results gave the Rams a 10-9 overall record for the season and preserved their fourth winning season in five years.

A bright spot came for lone senior Sanja Hansson, who won all three of her singles matches to give her the most career singles wins for a CSU player. Hansson tied the record of 75 wins set by Allison Lisle in her first match against BYU. With her other two wins she moved the record to 77 career wins.

That wasn’t the only record set by Hansson, who closed out her career in San Diego. Her 27 wins this season put her in the No. 1 spot for most wins in a season by a CSU player, and her season winning percentage of .794 is also an all-time best at CSU.

The victory against Utah was the last match of the CSU season and of Hansson’s career. In the match, the No. 1 doubles team of Hansson and sophomore Dasha Zhurin picked up the first win 8-4. The combo of freshman Carla Pallares and sophomore Tatyana Ugorich put the dagger in, and secured the doubles point with an 8-3 victory over their opponents.

In singles action the Rams dominated in nearly every spot with the exception of No. 2 Zhurin who lost to the Utes’ Sheri Esrock (7-5, 6-2). Two of the matches didn’t finish, as the Utes’ Maria Svensson failed to finish against the Rams’ Ugorich after winning the first set.

Sophomore Alex Paganetti also was robbed of a singles match with the concession of Utah’s Cassie Kastleler. Those matches didn’t count towards the total score and explains why the match didn’t go to all seven points.