Authors: Melissa Pester

Undergraduate art students from CSU have their work on display in the Lory Student Center’s Curfman Gallery.

Beginning last Friday and running through May 9, 56 pieces of student artwork will continue to hang in a showing called, “Celebrate Undergraduate Research and Creativity.”

“I think it is wonderful that CSU has so many opportunities for students,” said Sara Stlyer, a senior art major with work on display. “This provides a chance for all of us to build confidence.”

At the opening of the show Friday, six students were given the honors of highest distinction, high distinction and honorable mention for their submissions to the show. Medals displayed by their artwork hang in the gallery.

Students Matt Schreiber and Casey Dougherty received highest distinction, Jeff Wiley and Adam Stacey were given high distinction and for honorable mention, students Faye Kendall and Deborah Higgs won.

“This is one of the highlights of the year for me, it provides an opportunity for us to take stock in where we are,” said Phil Risbeck, chair of the art department. “I congratulate all who were brave enough to enter.”

Every year undergraduates at CSU have the chance to enter this showing.

“This is great because you want people to see your art,” said Tess Brodie, a senior art major. “No one sees it in studio.”

This year art students entered slides of up to three submissions of two-dimensional work. Students also submitted three-dimensional artwork, which was judged in person. This was different from last year’s show, said Erin Scott, senior art major and a student on the crew for the Curfman Gallery.

“I believe with (Matt Helmer, director of the Curfman Gallery) here, we will continue to represent the art department well,” Scott said. “It is not too often that students get to see work normally on display in the Visual Arts Building.”

Preparations for this show began in February, Scott said, and the Curfman Gallery crew put in approximately 20 to 30 hours pulling the whole thing together.

Two jurors were brought in from outside of CSU to pick the artwork submitted by students for display as well as for the distinctions given at the opening.

“We were looking for someone who understood the academic environment,” said Helmer. “They needed to see the work and lessons going into the submissions, not the end product.”