CSU crushes No. 3 Michigan

Authors: Joelle Milholm

The Nos. 1 and No. 3 club lacrosse teams in the country came to Fort Collins last week to play No. 4 CSU. The came, they played, and they lost.

The most recent upset was an 11-6 victory Saturday night over Michigan in front of approximately 1,000 people at Rocky Mountain High School’s French Field.

“I felt confident going into this game,” CSU head coach Flip Naumburg said. “We had some great practice coming in and we looked strong.”

CSU started the game on the right foot when Thomas Robinson and Kelten Johnson each scored a goal in the first three minutes of the game. Michigan got on the board toward the end of the first period to make the score 2-1.

The second quarter was identical to the first and the Rams went into halftime with a 4-2 lead.

CSU took the field with a vengeance in the third period and scored five goals.

The Wolverines squeezed a few shots past Ram goalie Alex Smith in the fourth, but CSU also added two more to make the final margin.

“We just got beat. Basically, they wanted it, we didn’t and they played that way,” Michigan head coach John Paul said.

Michigan out-shot CSU 37-26, but Smith’s 19 saves shut down the Wolverines. Johnson and Matt Disney contributed strongly to the team’s win by each getting a hat trick as well as an assist.

“I was disappointed in (Michigan’s) play to be honest,” Johnson said. “We didn’t play our A game and neither did they. But we have a lot of people stepping up with all of the injuries and I like that.”

Michigan’s record dropped to 9-3 on the year; CSU’s record now stands at 10-2.

On Tuesday, the Rams faced Sonoma State in a repeat of last year’s national championship, but the result was different than last time.

“Beating the No. 1 ranked team erases our loss against unranked Utah last weekend,” Naumburg said.

Sonoma State came out strong and took a 3-0 lead halfway into the second quarter, but CSU slammed four shots into the back of the net to take a 4-3 lead at halftime.

Robinson’s second goal in the game also ended up being the game-winning goal. He gave the Rams a two-goal lead, which Sonoma State’s goal in the last 30 seconds cut to one, and CSU gave Sonoma its first loss of the season.

“We got beat by a good CSU squad,” Sonoma State head coach Doug Carl said. “The have a history of matching their competition and they just played a smarter, better lacrosse game.”

Smith had another impressive game with seven saves, only giving up five goals on 16 shots. CSU dominated the game, out-shooting Sonoma State 33-16.

The Rams will next travel to Boulder on Friday to play in-state rival Colorado at 1 p.m.