Authors: Willow Welter

Take Back the Night, a national event that rallies against domestic violence and rape, has inspired events planned for next week.

Two separate gatherings on Thursday invite both men and women to share their personal experiences with sexual assault.

Victoria Hamm, co-chair of Campus Women’s Alliance, said women are invited to meet at 6 p.m. in the Sutherland Sculpture Garden, located south of the Lory Student Center, to share stories, read from journals or thank supporters who have helped them through situations involving rape or violence.

“I think Take Back the Night is important because one, we have had many incidents of rape around town and on campus,” said Renee Khandelwal, a sophomore economics major, “and two, if an incidence of rape does occur, the women will be able to speak out more freely knowing they are supported.”

When the sun goes down on April 17, the women plan to march to Old Town Square to “take back the night,” Hamm said.

The events, especially the march, signify “being able to feel safe at night without protection,” Hamm said.

Men may participate in Take Back the Night by meeting on the southwest corner of the Oval at 6 p.m. to discuss their own experiences with domestic violence or sexual assault.

“I think it’s good that men can show their support,” said Todd Armstrong, a sophomore geology major. “(Take Back the Night) is going to help raise awareness and make it public so people are forced to see it; they see that this really does happen, right next to them.”

After the men’s gathering, they plan to march to Old Town Square to welcome the women arriving from their march.

Other events are planned earlier in the week, such as author Inga Muscio discussing “Feminism, environmentalism, anti-racism and love for the queers and transfolks” on Wednesday. The discussion will be held at 7 p.m. in room 230 of the student center.

In addition to these events a play planned for Thursday at 7 p.m. in the student center Theater, will feature local high school students, college students and community member actors. The presentation, called “Until Someone Wakes Up,” is written by survivors of rape. Hamm said it is often presented in a humorous way.

Additional information is available at www.whatsup.colostate.edu.