Martinez, Roy reelected

Authors: Patrick Crossland

For Mayor Ray Martinez and District 6 City Council Member David Roy, Tuesday’s election was a re-electing success.

Martinez’s reelection came with 14,613 votes, winning 57.8 percent of the vote. With 26 years of experience in the city, Martinez has developed a relationship with Fort Collins, one that has proved to make him worthy of yet another two-year term.

With a focus on managing water supply and storage, Martinez would like to create a cohesive working relationship with the community. He would also like to manage growth, traffic congestion and plan for transportation.

LeRoy Gomez and Susan Kirkpatrick ran against Martinez Tuesday. Martinez was declared mayor, again, at 8:30 p.m.

David Roy will also return as District 6 council member of Fort Collins for a four-year term. He has been a resident in Fort Collins since 1977. In the city, he is involved in sales, is a certified massage therapist and a member of the Clean Air Coalition.

Nine months ago, Roy was appointed to the seat. He brings a platform focusing on water, transportation and growth issues. He told The Collegian in an earlier interview that he has a “progressive world view” when it comes to issues involving the city.

Roy defeated two candidates, Remi Frazier and Ryan Staychock, both students from CSU. Roy took 62.02 percent of the vote with 2,188 votes.