Authors: Reed Saunders

Of all the stories, press releases and news briefs surrounding the current conflict in Iraq, one probably fell under your proverbial radar this past week.

Though you might have missed it, it caught this columnists’ eye: Soul Man Edwin Starr dead at 61.

Sad and unfortunate, yes. Ironic and telling? Beyond a doubt. Starr, after all, was a soul singer best known for his protest anthem, “War (What Is It Good For?).”

You know: “War… huh!… good God, y’all… what issss it good for? Absolutely NUTHIN! Say it again, y’all.” Good tune. Catchy.

Though Starr’s passing will most likely provide a renaissance for the song, which stayed at No. 1 for three weeks in 1970, I saw the ironic chance to make a point.

Protesting this war — the War in Iraq, the War on Saddam, the War on Geraldo, whatever you want to call it — is pointless. Repeat: pointless.

It’s a free country and you can say what you want. But honestly, I’m adapting Edwin’s script here to say protesting is good for absolutely NUTHIN! Not at this stage of things.

Sure, in the months leading up to the war, it was sound to have your voice heard.

Regardless of the backlash, we went to war. Bush got his way and here we are, two weeks into the conflict.

Keep fasting or shouting or chanting; it won’t do any good. Protesting at this point is like casting a vote in the ASCSU elections: no matter what happens, things are

going to be pretty much the same.

Bush and our government already know much of the world is against this. They already know a good share of Americans are against this as well.

The government has adopted the Mary Catherine Gallagher, elementary school mantra of “I am rubber and you are glue, whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you.”

Think the persistent show of anti-war sentiment is suddenly going to sway the government’s opinion? Think a stupid comment from the Dixie Chicks is going to embarrass Bush into calling off the troops? Yeah, Garth, and monkeys might fly out of my butt.

(On a side note, much like the Dixie Chicks, most of the people shouting out against this war baffle me. Haven’t seen so many “know-it-alls” since my last trivia triathlon party in 1999. What government pipeline are these people plugged into? If you don’t know what you’re talking about, shut up.)

For you protesters, don’t be blue. Just because what you’re saying is inevitably moot, that doesn’t mean you don’t have a say.

You really want to change things around here? Want to tell Bush he’s a big stupidhead? Tell him when it hurts the most — Election Day.

Might have to hold your breath (or your appetite) a while until November 2004, but that will be your chance. A vote against Bush for re-election will speak slightly louder than a “Bush Sucks” sign.

So go ahead, be a Dixie Chick if you want. Scream at the top of your lungs how this war is wrong and how our troops are dying for nothing. Shout about how embarrassed you are by our president and how Geraldo and Saddam look just a little too much alike.

It’d be more important to pray for quick resolution. It’d be more effective to realize our soldiers are over there to stop a tyrannical dictator who has killed millions more of his own people than this war will ever come close to doing.

At this point, it doesn’t matter what you think war is good for. War is here.