Authors: Spencer Goodfriend

CSU’s College of Business hosted a conference concerning globalization with five special guest speakers and a small party of students held up signs intended to rattle two of them.

The event was a part of “Bridges to the Future: American History and Values in Light of Sept. 11th.”

The panel was attended by Nathan J. Citino, professor in the Department of History, Philip F. Bartholomew, senior economist for the International Monetary Fund, Randy Eppler, vice president of Global Development for Newmont Mining, Jagdish N. Sheth and Katherine E. Browne, professor in the Department of Anthropology.

The panelists each gave an account of how globalization has affected the world both positively and negatively in recent memory, along with historical accounts of its effects on everything from trade, to government structure, to inter-personal and cultural relations.

Protest signs were held up during the 15-minute speeches that both Bartholomew and Eppler gave. At one point five different students held up their messages reading “Debt=slavery,” “SHAME on the IMF! The global South is the creditor,” “All mines leak toxins” and “You can’t hide the cyanide!”

“America is as much the product of globalization as it is the agent,” Bartholomew said. “It is not an American invention.”

Key points that were made by some of the panelists include that there is much misconception about the IMF’ role in international economics, the fact that history is repeating itself in economic trends across the world and the fact that despite popular belief, globalization does not mean that other cultures are buying into western ideals just because they are purchasing western products, and in fact many people resist this influence emphatically.

“Superstitions support longstanding stereotypes of reciprocity,” Browne said in reference to the resistance of local populations around the world. “No group is entirely oppressed.”

In response to signs protesting the negative environmental impact his company’s mining has, Eppler said, “there is a push for responsible development from the private sector.”