Authors: Jason Graziadei

With the practice fields finally cleared of the white stuff, the CSU football team will begin its spring workouts today. And according to head coach Sonny Lubick, the team is ready for the 15-practice gauntlet leading up to the Green vs. Gold game on April 26.

“This might have been our best winter workouts ever, so we’re ready,” Lubick said. “Their attitudes are in the right place and the most important thing is to get them coming out with energy.”

The Rams’ first action since the Liberty Bowl in December will commence at 3:30 today, and the team will practice Wednesday and Thursday at the same time, with the weekend practices to be announced. Because the start of practices was postponed from last Friday due to the snow on the fields, Lubick said the team may be forced to practice a few more times per week than he had scheduled in order to get all 15 practices in.

With 16 starters returning from last season, including Bradlee Van Pelt, who was the Mountain West Offensive Player of the Year, and three new coaches thrown into the mix, the spring practices will give the team a chance to adjust to the new faces and new assignments.

The Rams’ coaches will surely have their eyes on newcomer Marcus Houston, who will take his first reps as a Ram since transferring from Colorado last semester.

“That will be good to see him out there to see what he can do,” Lubick said. “It will be entertaining to see if we can get him on the field next season.”

The NCAA requires that student-athletes who transfer to a new school must sit out a year before being eligible to play, but Houston is currently challenging his eligibility status.

Among the things that will be addressed by the team this spring include finding a punter to replace Joey Huber, a running back to fill the huge void left by Cecil Sapp, and finding out how the players will react to the three new coaches.