One terrible ‘View’

Authors: Eric Todd Patton

Starring: Gwyneth Paltrow, Kelly Preston, Christina Applegate, Mark Ruffalo, Candice Bergen and Mike Myers.

What You Need To Know: valiant attempts achieving near-funny.

Final Grade: D+

Have you ever wanted to see a film about trailer-trash making her way up through airline hierarchy to become a well-rounded stewardess? No? Well, anyway, it is out there and playing at your local theater.

“View From The Top” is the new Gwyneth Paltrow film from Miramax. That’s right, the studio nominated for the most Academy Awards this year also released this wanna-be comedy.

We open on a trailer park and a young girl, Donna Jensen (Paltrow) making a wish at her birthday to one day get out of the town she is growing up in. Not until she is dumped, which could have been funny if we weren’t expecting it from the previews, does she begin to think of change.

At a sleazy bar she watches Candice Bergen, who plays a famous stewardess (you know all of them), giving a motivational speech for people to get off their asses and accomplish something. So Jensen buys the motivational book and strives to become the next international first-class flight attendant.

This was supposed to be a comedy. The previews tried desperately to make it look like a comedy by focusing most of the ad time on Mike Myers. But, with Myers being the funniest parts of the film, they still never managed to reach any actual laugh lines. In fact, this movie has explored new ground in the near-funny field.

It was never a drama, it was never a comedy. It was just like a portrait of a would-be stewardess, making some parts so tedious and mind-numbing it was difficult to watch.

This comedy tried to evoke emotions through a love story between Jensen and her potential lover, played by Mark Ruffalo. The relationship the script tried to build was trite, under-developed and explored nothing into the relationship of character. Which is terrible, considering Ruffalo, Paltrow and Myers were the best aspects of the film.

The parts written for these three were not able to show the chemistry that they are able to produce on screen. I do not know if this is the fault of the writer or the director, but either way, the actors were misused.

Most direct to video films have more complexity and enjoyable subject matter than “View From the Top,” yet if I were you, I would not even rent this one. Let it just fly by and do not give it a second thought … you won’t miss anything.