Authors: the Collegian Editorial Board

This Thursday, the CSU men’s basketball team will be in Salt Lake City, taking on the Duke Blue Devils in a First round NCAA Tournament game.

Today, that sentence does make sense. Tell that to someone six months ago, they’d call you a damn liar.

It’s nothing but the truth, though: our Rams are in the Big Dance and they’re taking on the Blue Devils a mere six hours away in Salt Lake City.

Which is exactly why the CSU administration should declare this Thursday an official day off from classes – a day off for school spirit, a day off to scream for the team on the TV, a day off to make the trek to Salt Lake and scream for them there.

Real shocker, right? College kids wanting a day off from school?

Before rushing to judgment, consider the following:

1. The Rams haven’t been to the NCAA Tournament since 1990. They’re playing great basketball and they’re going to represent our school against THE best college basketball team of the last decade in what will undoubtedly be THE

biggest game in Colorado State basketball history.

2. Just this past fall, Florida State University declared a Friday off from classes because the football team was playing a Thursday night game. It was an effort to bolster attendance and school spirit — two things CSU could certainly use more of.

3. This is a BIG DEAL. School days come and go, but the NCAA Tournament? This is the Halley’s Comet of men’s basketball in Fort Collins and we need to give every tuition-paying student a fair chance to catch it because,

frankly, we never know when we’ll make it to a game this big again (Some folks in Fort Collins have gone an entire LIFESPAN without getting the opportunity to see a game like this).

Yes, we’re here to get an education. But we’re also here to be college kids.

Declare this Thursday “Green and Gold Day” and allow everyone to focus solely on the big game. It’s too big for anyone to miss.

In the words of Ferris Bueller, “How can I be expected to handle school on a day like this?”

Fact of the matter is, this Thursday, we shouldn’t be.