Authors: Joshua Pilkington

The indoor track and field season ended last weekend for most of CSU’s track and field, but a few are still standing.

With several long tosses during the course of the season, junior Loree Smith was able to automatically qualify in the shot put and weight throw for the NCAA Indoor Championships in Fayetteville, Ark., Mar. 14-16.

Twice named Mountain West Conference Athlete of the Week, Smith currently stands fourth in the nation in the weight throw at 67 feet, 5 1/2 inches. Junior Katie Yemm also qualified automatically in the women’s mile with a time of 4:52.03 at the MWC Indoor Track and Field Championships.

Representing the Rams on the men’s side is senior Drew Loftin, who tossed a pair of career-best marks in the shot put (59-2 1/4) and weight throw (67-9) as he won both at the MWC meet.

Apart from that trio of automatic qualifiers, the Rams have a pair of athletes looking to up their marks at the Last Chance Meet at the University of Washington on Saturday.

Sophomore Jacob Benson aims to improve on his distance in the men’s triple jump and move up the list of provisional qualifiers, while senior Hannah Metzler aims to do the same in the women’s shot put and weight throw.

“Both Hannah and Jacob have provisionally qualified,” said assistant coach Tom Flood. “They’re both looking to move up the ladder and break into the field at nationals.”

Meanwhile, the rest of the Rams continue to train and are now focused on getting back at the MWC indoor track and field champions, Brigham Young.

“We’re working on our outdoor training and getting ready for a strong season,” said head coach Del Hessel. “We have a lot of athletes ready to take that next step and perform well this season.”

The outdoor season begins Mar. 22 when the Rams travel to Albuquerque, N.M. to compete in the New Mexico Invitational.