Authors: Joshua Pilkington

Softball takes on some much needed competition in Greeley

The last thing the players of CSU’s women’s softball team needed last week was a rest, but that is what they got.

Coming off a strong showing at the Troy Cox Classic in Las Cruces, N.M., where the team went 4-1, the Rams (6-6 overall) were anxious to take on some tough competition at the Tulsa Festival in Tulsa, Okla. However, a brutal snowstorm cancelled those plans.

“We came off a great weekend in New Mexico fired up and ready to go,” head coach Mary Yori said. “Everybody gained confidence and we need to play so we can capitalize on that confidence.”

Enter the University of Northern Colorado.

Under duress, the Rams were able to schedule a double-header today against the Division-II Bears in Greeley, with game one beginning at 1 p.m. and game two at 3 p.m.

“We’re biting at the bit and are anxious to get back out on the field,” Yori said. “These games count just as much as any game and we’re ready to go.”

Following today’s double-header the Rams will have more than their share of teams to compete against as they travel to Florida to participate in two tournaments during the university’s spring break.

The games begin Mar. 9 in Orlando, Fla., where the Rams play three double-headers in three days in the University of Central Florida Spring Fling Tournament. Following those games, the Rams travel to Kissimmee, Fla., where they will play six more games in three days as part of the Rebel Spring Games.

“We’ll be facing some good opponents,” Yori said. “But they’re opponents we feel we can perform well against. It’s a great chance for us to play quality games in good weather. We have a young team and they need as many games as they can get.”

Forming part of that youth, freshman Genevieve Kelly said she, too, is anxious to return to the field and capitalize on a tournament in which she won her first game and got her first hit.

“Things are starting to fall into place,” Kelly said. “We just need to come out and win two (today) and take that momentum to Florida and come out with some wins.”