Authors: Joelle Milholm

The CSU hockey team went 2-1 in the Division II National Hockey Tournament for a seventh place finish to end the season.

The Rams started well, with a 6-2 victory over Indiana University-Pennsylvania. CSU out-shot IUP by 41 and fired a total of 65 pucks at the net. Jason Bowers racked up a hat trick and goalie Zach Young stopped 24 of 26 shots.

CSU was even hotter in its second game against Illinois and won 8-2. Braden Grieser led the charge with two goals and three assists, while Derek Foster and Ryan Lewis also added two goals each.

The third game matched the CSU squad against SUNY Stonybrook, who was also undefeated going into the match. It was a physical game that was very close, holding 5-5 tie in the third period. Ram penalties gave SUNY multiple power plays and CSU could not overcome. SUNY scored three late goals to win the game 8-5.

Head coach Brian Sutton was proud of his team, but disappointed in the officiating.

“I have never had a game taken away from me by an official,” Sutton said.

An anonymous official also had some remarks after the game that agreed with Suttton’s statement.

“As an official I will never say that a referee can impact the outcome of a game. However, sadly to say, it happened today,” the official said.

SUNY went on to beat Siena in the semifinals and faced Colorado in the championship game. CU won the National Championship, beating SUNY 6-4.

The Ram’s seventh place finish is one higher than that of the team’s last year. They finished the regular season with a 20-6-2 record.

Lacrosse Improves to 3-0

When weather gives them the opportunity to play, the CSU lacrosse team is unstoppable. Its latest victim, the University of Illinois, fell to the Rams 9-3 on Sunday.

Even though CSU shut down the team’s field, the Rams were determined to play and moved the game to Lafayette, Colo. CSU had control from the beginning and took a 7-0 lead into halftime.

The Rams allowed Illinois to score three goals in the second half, but chalked up two points themselves to seal the win. Head coach Flip Naumburg insists the team could have played better, but puts some of the blame of the constant snowfall.

“It is hard to play without much practice. There are definitely some things we need to work on, but I am glad we could get the game in and everyone could play,” Naumburg said. “We had every opportunity to crush them, and we did not.”

The Rams managed to get off 53 shots, which almost doubled the effort of Illinois. Kelten Johnson and Jimmy Hansson each scored two goals and assisted another.

CSU’s other victories this spring have come against Colorado and Arizona. Its closest game was the 12-11 overtime win Feb. 22, when they squeezed by CU.

The team is now looking forward to traveling to Florida over spring break for games against Florida, Florida State, Auburn, and Virginia Tech.

Men’s Ultimate Frisbee prepares for Georgia road trip

The CSU Men’s Ultimate Frisbee team looked sharp Feb.22 as it tested its skills at scrimmage with seven fellow Colorado teams. Colorado College took advantage of CSU’s lack of substitutions and won 9-5. The Rams came to life after playing CC and won the rest of their games.

The team faced Colorado School of Mines B-side and dominated, winning 11-2. They then pounded Air Force by the same score.

“Not having any subs and being able to crush these teams shows how hard we have been working and running everyday,” Mickey Thompson said.

CSU was then matched against CU for its final game of the day. CSU came out strong and never let down, shutting the Buffaloes out with a 9-0 victory.

“Lots of smack talk and pure hatred fired us up,” Thompson said.

Donnie Ewton was the star of the game, coming down with some key catches and a huge assist to Nick Styles to finish CU off.

The Ram squad is now preparing for the High Tide Collegiate Session Tournament over spring break in Georgia. The five-day tournament will feature 20 teams, including Weslyan, Bucknell, Edinboro, Syracuse, Notre Dame and Florida State.