Authors: Amy Resseguie

Some of CSU’s marketing students are putting their skills to work this semester by designing a marketing campaign for the new Honda Element.

CSU’s student group, Rampage: Advertising, Marketing and Promotions, is one of 28 college programs in the country competing in the Honda Element College Program.

Honda is providing $2,500 to each student group to use in researching, creating, implementing and evaluating a promotional campaign for the new sport-utility vehicle.

“We’re basically acting like Honda’s ad agency on campus,” said Jenny Cavnar, the public relations department head for Rampage.

The campaign will officially kick off on April 14 on the Lory Student Center Plaza. In addition to having an Element on campus, Rampage will have a variety of activities and campus clubs, such as the Logging Sports Club, present to appeal to the target market of 18- to 34-year-old active males.

“Our main goal is to get people inside the Element, because it’s really great for Coloradoans and people who do a lot of outdoor activities,” said Leah Creal, Rampage’s campaign coordinator department head. “We want people to see the functionality of the car, and not just look at the outside.”

The overall goal of the project is to give students an opportunity to work on a real-world promotional campaign.

“Everything we’ve done so far has been exactly like real life. We’ve gotten a lot of work done, and it’s a great experience,” Creal said. “The campaign is going to be great. We’re trying to get as much of campus involved as possible.”

The top college marketing group will be awarded $5,000, and the top two programs will be flown to Honda’s corporate offices in Torrance, Calif., to present their campaign to top Honda executives.