Authors: Joelle Milholm

The CSU hockey team rolled over Indiana University at Pennsylvania 6-2 in its first game at the Division II Hockey National Tournament. The Rams dominated the game and out-shot IUP by 41 goals.

Braden Grieser gave the Rams an early lead and added another goal at the end of the first period to give CSU a 2-1 advantage. The second period was at the same fast pace and loaded with hard hits for both teams. IUP scored in the first minute to tie the game at two each, but the Rams were quick to get on top again on Tom Owens’ goal.

CSU killed a five-on-three penalty and played the rest of the game in IUP’s zone. Jason Bowers continued to build the Rams’ lead by scoring two goals and making the score 5-2 at the end of the second period.

Bowers completed a hat trick on a short-handed goal halfway through the third period and sealed CSU’s victory. Goalie Zach Young kept the puck out of the Ram net by stopping 24 of 26 shots.

“I thought that the teams played their systems well and stayed out of the box,” head coach Brian Sutton said. “This made the difference when IPU took bad penalties. It gave the team the chance to work the power play.”

The Rams also beat the University of Illinois 7-2 on Thursday and will play SUNY Stonybrook today to determine if they will advance to the semifinals.

CSU Lacrosse beats CU in overtime

In a game that was much closer than expected, CSU managed to pull off another victory on Saturday against the University of Colorado.

Going into the game the Rams held a No. 2 ranking, while CU was only ranked 14th in the Rocky Mountain Intercollegiate Lacrosse League. The Buffaloes outplayed the Rams and took a 3-1 lead at the end of the first quarter.

CU added two more at the beginning of the second quarter, but then CSU got back on track and tied the game at five at halftime. The third period was slow for the Rams again as they only scored one goal compared to CU’s four.

The goals started falling in the Rams’ favor in the fourth period as the team came within one goal of CU with only two minutes left. Jimmy Hansson scored with 37 seconds left to tie the game at 11 and send it into overtime.

Kelton Johnson ended the game quickly by slamming the ball into the net and giving the Rams a 12-11 victory.

“Once we starting doing what we wanted to do we came back,” CSU goalie Alex Smith said. “It was gut-wrenching, but we got it done.”

Johnson tallied four goals against the Buffs, but Hansson was the real star, getting four goals and one assist in front of a huge home crowd.

“It was nice to play at home. These fans have been here all my four years,” Hansson said. “It was a big game today, but we couldn’t do it without the whole team.”

CSU has now beaten CU and Arizona in the spring season to give them a 2-0 record. CU dropped to 0-1. The team will travel to Colorado Springs on Saturday to face Colorado College.

Men’s Ultimate goes 3-1 in Colorado scrimmage

The CSU Men’s Ultimate Frisbee team looked sharp over the weekend as they tested their skills at scrimmage with seven fellow Colorado teams.

The Rams were unprepared for their first game and had to play all day without substitutions. Colorado College took advantage of CSU’s situation and won 9-5. The Rams came to life after playing CC and won the rest if their games.

The team then faced The Colorado School of Mines B-side and dominated, winning 11-2. They then pounded Air Force by the same score.

“Not having any subs and being able to crush these teams shows how hard we have been working and running everyday,” senior captain Mickey Thompson said.

CSU was then matched against CU for its final game of the day. Even though the team was tired, they got fired up to play. CSU came out strong and never let down, shutting the Buffaloes out with a 9-0 victory.

“Lots of smack talk and pure hatred fired us up,” Thompson said.

Donnie Ewton was the star of the game, coming down with some key catches and a huge assist to Nick Styles to finish CU off.

The Ram squad is now preparing for the High Tide Collegiate Session Tournament over spring break in Georgia. The five-day tournament will feature 20 teams, including Weslyan, Bucknell, Edinboro, Syracuse, Notre Dame and Florida State.