Authors: Jon Ackerman

by

In a perfect world, Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant would have entered the NBA the same year, Michael Vick would demand to play in Denver and I would make the schedule for CSU’s football team.

That’s no slight to Athletic Director Jeffrey Hathaway, because I have no idea about the pains and strains he went through to put next year’s schedule together. I didn’t have to listen to the “big” schools refuse to come to Hughes Stadium in fear of losing to a non-BCS school. I wasn’t the one making calls to the “big” schools begging for them to let us just play at their place, as Virginia and UCLA were so kind to do so last year. California was the only school to give in.

Apparently the Rams played too well against those teams, and that puts us in a no-win situation. Rumor has it that CSU tried striking a deal with Kansas State, but I guess they’d rather throttle Louisiana-Monroe.

So here’s Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson telling us to schedule games against teams that are in contract with the BCS, but it looks as if they won’t play the Rams.

Next year’s schedule features the opening game in Denver against Colorado (Aug. 30), one non-conference game on the road (at Cal Sept. 6) and then four straight home games (Weber State Sept. 13, Miami of Ohio Sept. 20, Utah Sept. 27 and Fresno State Oct. 4). In conference, the Rams will go to Provo, Laramie, Albuquerque and Las Vegas.

If I had my way, the 2003 non-conference slate would go something like this:

Aug. 30 vs. CU in Denver – I have no complaints about this game. I say we keep this game in Denver for the next 10 years, but unfortunately, 2003 could be the last year.

Sept. 6 vs. Oregon State (instead of playing at California) – They should come here and see what they’re missing out on. The Beavers had a recently vacant head coaching position, and if Sonny Lubick would have wanted it, he likely could have taken it. And a lot of recruits end up choosing between Oregon State and CSU. This would be a chance to prove that everyone here made the right choice.

Sept. 13 vs. UCLA (instead of against Weber State, a Division I-AA school) – We played there last year, they come here this year. Plus, a couple CSU coaches recently moved to UCLA for a bigger contract and a higher-profile program. Not that that was a bad choice on their part, but it would just kill them for the team they left to beat the team they went to.

Sept. 20 at Oregon (instead of against Miami of Ohio) – While we knocking off these other Pac-10 schools, we might as well take out the Ducks as well. Our green and gold looks better than theirs.

Sept. 27 at Baylor (pushing the Utah game back in the season) – This game would be the equivalent of playing a Miami of Ohio, except that the Bears play in the Big XII. It’s all about wins over teams in the power conferences, so we might as well put these guys up there next to CU. We should replace them in the Big XII while we’re at it.

Oct. 4 at Kansas State (instead of against Fresno State) – Another Big XII team, and apparently afraid to play a team like CSU. Might as well prove them their feelings were justified.

Sure, it’s a little bold for a team that lost to UNLV last year, but the Rams might as well go big or go home. The BCS would definitely give props to this schedule: three Big XII teams, three Pac-10 teams, two at home, three on the road, one being neutral.

Oh well. Vick would never demand to play in Denver, either.

Jon is a senior journalism major and the Collegian sports editor.