Authors: Michael Dickey

I followed Nate Barcalow, lead singer of Finch, into the front entrance of the Ogden theatre before being stopped by several awestruck fans. Barcalow signed everything that was put in front of him and said nothing, just smiled timidly behind his lowered baseball cap. This was not the loud, in your face, punk lead man that I had been expecting.

Finch has released their debut album, “What It Is Burn,” and it is not what you are expecting from a typical punk band. “We never write a song with the intention of it sounding a certain way, we just write and if it sounds good then we use it.” However, I found this to be a modest response from the singer. “What it is to burn” holds a lot of sonic variety compared to many of Finch’s counter parts in the punk scene. This diversity in sound from Finch attracts many non- traditional punk fans.

Barcalow described the beginnings of Finch as having slower and depressing songs until the addition of guitarist Randy Strohmeyer. The band then made a mutual decision to “pep things up a bit” pushing them into more of a punk genre. After signing with Drive -Thru Records, Finch brought their music to the Warp Tour giving punk fans something new to be excited about. Barcalow described their experience on the tour as an amazing break for the band but at times draining, “You don’t shower for a long time and you go for days with out going to the bathroom, but now I look back and I see video footage it makes me happy”.

With the success of the their single “Letters To You” major recording label MCA has started to become active with the band, despite the reluctance of Finch’s lead man “Majors are so scary,” Barcalow said. “I feel uncomfortable being on a huge bus.” “The whole business end of music is a dark side, I try not to pay attention to it.”

Despite Finch’s weariness of touring under a major label it has brought their already energetic live show to a new level. As the show began it was refreshing to see, but not surprising from Finch, a punk show with emphasis on stage design.

The band took the stage in front of the backdrop of two illuminated red logo banners and pounded through several songs with pause only to allow the crowd to sing along with the somber interludes of songs that contrast Finch’s explosive choruses.

The quite and modest singer that I had interviewed prior was now belting out passionate and precise tones along with violent incomprehensible screams. The entire band puts every amount of energy they can summon into there performances. No one in the crowd will leave feeling that they did not see or hear the absolute best that Finch had to offer “Playing live is like practice for us, and it feels like we just keep getting progressively better, I’m interested to hear what we are capable of next album.”