Authors: Christopher J. Ortiz

The aroma of Belgian waffles, sausage and fresh orange juice should be enough for anyone to get the urge to get out of bed a little earlier than usual.

Today, when most people opt for the quick bite-to-eat, fast-food drives-thru or entirely skipping the most important meal of the day, it can be easy to forget what a great breakfast tastes like.

In a time when everyone is in a hurry, I couldn’t remember the last time I sat down before classes start and treated myself to a great breakfast. Bluebird Caf/ reminded me what I was missing.

The cozy little caf/ offered an array of items for breakfast. I had a hard time choosing between the Hobo Skillet (ham, bacon, turkey, melted Monterey jack and cheddar cheese), the Farmer’s Scrambler (bacon and ham scrambled into three eggs with melted cheddar and Monterey jack cheese) and the Mandaberry Waffle. Indecisive, I let my server decide for me; her decision was the Mandaberry Waffle, a plate-size malted waffle generously topped with strawberries, Mandarin oranges, blueberries and a creamy lemon cream cheese served with maple syrup.

Talking to one of the owners, Edie Dahlgren, I learned that the caf/ prides itself on making most of its menu from scratch, which is evident in the taste (but also the prices). Chefs come in at 5 a.m. to prepare biscuits, croissants, batters and everything else that makes eating at Bluebird a treat – and we complain about 8 a.m. lectures.

The menu goes beyond eggs, pancakes and waffles. Tempting items like the Huevos Grande (a tortilla layered with black beans, vegetarian green chili sauce and melted Monterey jack and cheddar cheese) and Caf/ Crepes (two crepes stuffed with scrambled eggs, honey ham and bacon topped with hollandaise) make for a great break to ordinary breakfast.

Before owning the caf/, Dahlgren and the other two owners – one is her husband – were employees. The caf/ is opened for breakfast and lunch daily. Like everything else in this wired world, the caf/ is also located online at cafebluebird.com. You will find a full lunch and breakfast menu along with a recipe for homemade blueberry coffee cake.

Take a little time for yourself and enjoy breakfast that doesn’t come in a value meal or a wrapper.

Dahlgren described breakfast at Bluebird as elegant and exquisite. I would add refreshing to that description.

Caf/ Bluebird

524 W. Laurel

Monday – Friday: 6:30 a.m. – 2 p.m. (breakfast served until 11:30 a.m.)

Saturday – Sunday: 7 a.m. – 2 p.m. (breakfast served all day)

484-7755

www.cafebluebird.com