Authors: the Collegian Editorial Board

Without question, Title IX needs to be revamped. It has done countless good things for college athletics, but lately has been criticized for the harm it may cause.

Some options that have been raised include excluding football from Title IX, dropping the number of football scholarships allowed from 85 to 60, or making funding for men’s and women’s athletics the exact same.

When it comes to funding, football is like no other sport. At the very minimum, a team needs 50 players on the sideline, while sports like basketball have a maximum of about 15 players. Obviously, football needs more funding, and to exclude it from Title IX mandates wouldn’t be a bad idea. No other sport generates as much money as football does.

However, it is a sport and should not be singled out. So an alternative has been raised: lower the amount of scholarships allowed for football players. Some schools have upward of 95 players on the football team. Why are that many allowed to suit up when a professional football team has just a 53-man roster?

If you drop the number down to 60, which CSU head coach Sonny Lubick has publicly supported, you free up a lot of money that can go to other sports, either men’s or women’s. And Lubick makes a good point when he says that if schools were allowed only 60 scholarships, the 25 players that would normally get an offer from a big-time school could then be signed by mid-major schools like CSU. That evens out the playing field in college football, which has become lopsided in favor of the six major conferences.

This seems like the most favorable choice, because if you keep football in with all the other sports, there’s no possibly way for men’s and women’s athletic funding to ever be equal in amount.