Authors: the Collegian Editorial Board

V-Day is a worldwide social movement designed to stop sexual violence against women and girls, and it proclaims Valentine’s Day as the day to celebrate women and demand the end of abuse.

Friday there will be a V-Day benefit performance of Eve Ensler’s Obie Award-winning play “The Vagina Monologues” at the Lory Student Center Theater. Tickets are $5 each and may be purchased or reserved by calling CSU’s Information Desk at 491-6444.

“The Vagina Monologues,” is a series of small plays exploring a variety of women’s issues and attempts to confront many issues facing today’s woman. The benefit performance is in celebration of V-Day and all the proceeds will be donated to local crisis centers.

We wholeheartedly support the V-Day movement and urge as many students to attend Friday’s event as possible.

Spending Valentine’s Day exploring women’s issues and helping support the V-Day cause is a perfect way to spend a holiday often over-saturated with cards, chocolates and mass marketing.

You couldn’t spend $5 any better way.

Fort Collins has recently seen its share of violence against women with the murder of Lacy Miller and the Troy Graves sexual assaults and trial.

Recent events only highlight the need to become more aware of violence against women.

However, no person – male or female – is ever entirely safe, but woman do appear to be targeted more frequently and at greater risk simply because they are women.

V-Day’s goal is to make people aware of violence against women and its hope is to one day stop this violence altogether.

This is a valuable and righteous goal and it would be great if many from the CSU community can reach out to this cause. A good start would be checking out the benefit performance of the monologues this Friday.