Authors: Joelle Milholm

Not only did the Ram softball team win its first two games of the Mustang Round-up this weekend, CSU won its first two games of the season.

The Rams started the tournament against San Diego State. An early Ram error allowed San Diego State to take the first lead at 1-0. CSU remained scoreless until the fifth inning when freshman Katie Dean and sophomore Stephanie Roberts reached base, and sophomore Kerry Ferrell singled them home.

The Rams added three more runs and won 5-1. Roberts went 3-for-4 at the plate and scored two runs, while Ferrell hit 2-for-3 and also scored two runs.

The Rams then faced Southern Utah and earned their first shutout of the season with a score of 3-0. Dean, freshman Jennifer Gardner, and sophomore Brittany Burtner all scored for the Rams.

The second day of the tournament brought some tougher competition and the Rams did not get the end results they wanted. They lost their first game to Nevada 4-3. Roberts and junior Ricki Walker each went 2-for-4, while Dean added one hit and one RBI.

Junior Megan Masser pitched in the losing effort, giving up four runs on four hits and striking out six.

“It was the top of the eighth and the game was tied at one a piece. We just could not come up with that key hit,” head coach Mary Yori said.

CSU was then matched against Sacramento State and lost 5-1. Burtner and Gardner both had two hits and Walker had one hit and one RBI. Sophomore Melanie Mahoney took the loss giving up five runs on 11 hits.

“We had a tough loss,” Yori said. “We just did not come up with any timely hits to get our base-runners home.”

The Rams lost to the University of California at Santa Barbara 2-0 in their final game on Sunday. Senior Katie Koch singled and Dean hit a triple to right-center for the Rams’ only hits. Freshman Genevieve Kelly got the loss going five and a half innings and giving up two runs on six hits with four strikeouts.

CSU’s record now stands at 2-5. The team will take the field again on Feb. 21-23 in the Troy Cox Classic in Las Cruces, N.M.