Authors: Melissa Pester

CSU student announces plan to run for City Council

0210

Melissa Pester

On Friday, CSU student Remi Frazier formally announced his intent to run for Fort Collins City Council District 6.

Currently, David Roy is the District 6 council member. Roy was appointed June 25 to fill a vacancy until the election on April 8.

Fort Collins City Council contains six districts, and all members are elected to a four-year term. According to the City of Fort Collins Web site, the members are elected on a non-partisan basis. Council members are limited to two terms.

“I decided to run fundamentally because I want to further the marketplace of ideas in Fort Collins-which I feel students are very left out of,” Frazier said.

Frazier graduated from CSU in 2001 with a bachelor’s in physical science and minors in mathematics and physics. He returned in the fall of 2002 for a second bachelor’s in English, and hopes to attend graduate school in the fall of 2004 for an M.A. in English.

“I am not only a student. I am a citizen. I am also a business owner and a volunteer actively involved in the community,” Frazier said.

In 1996, Frazier moved to Fort Collins. Between 1997 and 2001 he served the Associated Students of CSU-which began his involvement with both the campus and the community as he became involved in committees and volunteer opportunities both on and off campus.

“(Running for City Council) is something that I have thought about doing for years,” said Frazier. “I would say I am a voice that can speak to the student’s interests.”

Current he is the sole owner of a company researching cutting-edge computer interface technology, which is currently in its first round of investor funding. Frazier also works for SoonToBeFamous, LLC, a Northern Colorado theatrical production company as their director of finance and business partner.

“I am in a unique position to provide a connection between the students of CSU and the rest of the community,” Frazier said. “Too often, these residents are treated as second-class citizens due to their youth.”

Frazier’s platform, as announced on Friday, will cover three “core values”: civic virtue, constituency involvement and community development.

Over the next few months, Frazier plans to put together policy initiatives he will publicize for community input. His first initiative, he said, will be to better student- community relations.

“I will pledge a continued commitment from my campaign to our marketplace of shared ideas. That is what our community is about and that is what our city council should be about,” Frazier said.