Rams add three assistants

Authors: Reed Saunders

One day after he announced 22 new players who will join the Ram football team in the fall, CSU head coach Sonny Lubick added three new coaches to his staff.

In a statement released to media Thursday, Lubick announced the hiring of Darrell Funk as CSU’s new tight ends and special teams coach, Steve Stanard as the new defensive coordinator and linebackers coach, and James Ward as the new secondary coach.

The announcement ends a search that began with the departure of former defensive coordinator Larry Kerr and secondary coach Marvin Lewis in early January. A third vacancy opened when former tight ends and special teams coach Brian Schneider left late last week.

According to Lubick, the search was not short on applicants.

“We had tremendous interest nationwide for the positions,” Lubick said. “I think the interest reflects the reputation that our program has across the country because of the success we have and the quality of people that we have on our staff.”

Funk, formerly tight ends and special teams coach at Northern Illinois, was a former player at CSU from 1983-86. NIU finished 7-4 last season as a part of the Mid-American Conference.

“Darrell is an outstanding football coach who was a player at Colorado State and brings a great deal of knowledge and experience to our program,” Lubick said. “He is very familiar with our program and our staff having played at Colorado State.”

Stanard comes to CSU after spending the last seven seasons as an assistant coach at New Mexico State. Last season, NMSU came within one victory of winning the Sun Belt Conference and playing in a bowl game.

“During the past few years, the defensive staff at New Mexico State has visited with our staff at Colorado State about the type of defense that we use,” Lubick said. “Steve knows the system and knows what our defensive philosophy is. That will be a great benefit to our program.”

Ward was the most recently the defensive coordinator and secondary coach at Idaho State, where he helped the Bengals tie for the Big Sky Conference title last season.

“James has a great deal of experience including his time at Idaho

State as a defensive coordinator,” Lubick said. “I know that he is going to bring a great deal of knowledge and coaching ability to our program.”