Authors: Colleen Buhrer

In honor of CSU President Albert C. Yates’ upcoming retirement, the Board of Governors of the CSU System voted unanimously Tuesday to name the new Chemistry/Biosciences building after him.

Yates has been president of CSU for 13 years. The building will be named Albert C. Yates Hall.

“During Al Yates’ tenure, Colorado State University has undergone an amazing transformation and can now be truly considered among the nation’s best public universities,” said Reginald Washington, president of the Board of Governors, in a press release. “I can’t think of a more appropriate honor than to name a facility for him that will help continue academic research excellence at the university.”

There will be a special reception and building dedication ceremony in April as part of the annual Celebrate Colorado State festivities.

Yates did attend the board meeting, but has not yet commented on the decision, said June Greist, media relations manager at CSU.

Yates has also been asked by the board and agreed to stay on as chancellor of the CSU system for up to a year.

The facility opened in October and is a five-story, 78,000-square-foot structure. The building has 26 student laboratories and connected lecture rooms. It accommodates students in chemistry, biology, biochemistry, chemical engineering, life sciences and biomedical science courses.

“Al Yates’ academic discipline is theoretical chemical physics, and is seems very appropriate that this building be named Albert C. Yates Hall in recognition of his many outstanding contributions to the university, higher education and to the state of Colorado,” Washington said.

While Yates was in office:

* Student enrollment increased 18.95 percent.

* Enrollement of ethnically diverse students grew by 57 percent.

* External research funding increased by 82 percent.

* Annual private giving more than quadrupled.

* CSU in-state enrollment has grew more than any other Colorado university.

Yates announced his retirement in October. The Collegian reported that Yates is leaving so that he may spend more time with his family and to write and read more.

“It’s time to find a better balance to all these competing priorities,” Yates said in October. “It’s important for me to see my two girls grow up.”

Only two university presidents before Yates have served longer terms. Charles A. Lory served from 1909 to 1940 and William B. Morgan served from 1949 to 1969.