Authors: Cara Mason

CSU Police Chief Donn Hopkins will be retiring Feb. 14, after 17 years of service. Hopkins is leaving CSU in order to take a new position with Agilent Technologies as a manager in their Fort Collins and Loveland sites.

Hopkins feels it will be a new direction in life after 32 years as a police officer, he said.

“Donn is an outstanding human being, as well as being an excellent police professional. Donn’s experience, calm and caring attitude, and dedication to CSU and its students and faculty have been a hallmark of his time at this institution,” said Gerry Bomotti, vice president of administration.

There were many challenges Hopkins had to face throughout his career as CSU police chief. During his time at CSU, Hopkins had to handle the increasing enrollment, the many developments of the campus and the rising attendance at athletic and special events.

“Donn has done a lot for the profession of law enforcement and has also done a lot of heart-driven types of things throughout his career. He’s been involved in supporting youth assistance initiatives, Special Olympics, domestic violence prevention just to name a few,” said Bob Chaffee, Captain Police Administrator II.

Hopkins has also received numerous recognitions and awards. In 1992, Hopkins received the Oliver Pennock Award and served as president of the Colorado Association of Chiefs of Police from 1999 to 2000. More recently in 2002, he received the Leadership and Commitment to Law Enforcement Award from the Fort Collins Police Service.

“I believe that the CSU Police Department is an outstanding organization, and Donn is to be credited with much of that success, including the outstanding staff he recruited and retained in the CSUPD,” Bomotti said.

Hopkins also served on several community boards including Diversity Awareness on Campus, the Crossroad Safehouse, the University Safety Committee, the Fort Collins Foundation and as Emergence Management Team coordinator for CSU.

“The thing I’ll miss the most is the supportive leadership he’s given us over the years. We’ll miss him a lot, but wish him the best of blessings as he makes this career change,” Chaffee said.

There is already a committee established to find a new Police Chief lead by Earlie Thomas, director of Environmental Health Services.

“I feel very comfortable that Earlie Thomas and the rest of the committee will do a great job finding a new police chief,” Hopkins said.

Hopkins said he has greatly benefited from working at CSU.

“I have learned so much about myself and others. I have grown so much since I have started work here at CSU. It will be very hard to leave my CSU family,” Hopkins said.

Many at CSU will miss Hopkins.

“CSU loses a very valuable employee in Donn Hopkins, but we wish him the best of luck in his new career,” Bomotti said.