Authors: Melissa Pester

CSU students and staff commuting by car to campus can expect delays today while the city of Fort Collins Traffic Operations Department closes roads to install its new traffic signal control system.

The installation of the new system will begin today and will continue over the next two weeks as crews from the department work at the intersections selected. The new traffic signal control system includes new cabinets and signal controllers for the selected intersections.

According a prepared statement from the department, the intersections receiving the new system must be turned off for two hours. The Traffic Operations Department assures that traffic will be controlled by police officers during these two hours.

Local drivers should expect delays over the next two weeks as Traffic Operations Department crews install the new equipment at intersections along Harmony Road between Ziegler and Mason and along College Avenue from Kensington to Laurel.

There will also be roadwork along a short section of Horsetooth Avenue from McClelland to College avenues; Drake Road from McClelland to College avenues; Mulberry from Meldrum to Remington; and Remington from Mulberry to Prospect.

These installations are the next step in the $6 million project, which will implement a new advanced traffic management system in the city of Fort Collins. According to the Traffic Operations Department, the new system will provide more control over traffic signals and more reliable timing coordination.

The Traffic Operations Department anticipates this new system to be entirely installed and operational by the end of 2003.