Authors: Monique Lewis

As young male prospective members walked through the food court Monday to check out the fraternities, Tim Ulrich, vice president recruiter for the Inter-Fraternity Council, handed out recruitment schedules for the week.

“Most men in the spring probably have a good idea which chapter they want to join. The men have had a chance to get to know friends in the chapter for four to five months,” Ulrich said. “We’re really trying to get the word out for rushees. I think people don’t think it’s as important in the spring. (Today), men will only visit one to two where as in the fall their exposed to more.”

Ulrich said he is trying to make it as simple as possible for the chapters involved and the men trying to join. The tabling on Monday was set up to make the process more personal and less intimidating so that the Greek community can attract more members.

“I’m trying to put greater emphasis on the community. We need to change the attitude to join a community,” Ulrich said.

Phi Delta Theta, Delta Chi and Pi Kappa Phi were a few of the several fraternities that planned activities with the recruits throughout the week to acquaint themselves better and make the men feel more comfortable around them.

Phi Delta Theta

“Our house is so diverse compared to every other house,” said Josh Gruho, member of Phi Delta Theta. “It’s not like a stereotypical frat you see on TV.”

They take pride in having members who are from all over the country.

“We’re located in the community, so we have to be more community-minded and very respectful around our neighbors. We try to sell on friendship, brotherhood and academic standing,” said Wylie Nelson, former vice president of the fraternity.

Among those attributes, Nelson said that their house is a dry house, meaning that no alcohol is allowed. Nelson said that helps their place look a little nicer.

They were able to persuade Chris Skagen, freshman and natural resources management major, to rush for their organization. He was among 18 rushees that attended the fraternity’s dinner at Woody’s Pizza on Tuesday.

“I always heard it was a great group to get involved with. I just wanted to check it out,” Skagen said.

Delta Chi

“We’re a smaller fraternity, which allows for more leadership opportunities,” said James Doe, president of Delta Chi. “We’re interested in guys who can better the group,” Doe said.

Delta Chi is a colony and currently has15 members that they said gives new members a chance to get their name on the actual charter document. To become an official greek fraternity or sorority the organization must have 30 members.

“One of the main reasons I got into it was to establish the tradition, rather than follow it,” said Ryan Benassi, social chair for the colony.

Delta Chi treated their rushees to rock climbing at The Gym of the Rockies.

Pi Kappa Phi

“They’re great guys,” said Jacob Longwell, sophomore psychology major. Longwell enjoyed playing pool and socializing with the fraternities at CB & Potts Clubhouse on Tuesday. This will be the only group he rushes for because he got to know a couple of the members last semester.

“They’ve always been really nice. They all get along and there’s camaraderie,” he said. “Fraternities are great; it’s more than just friendship. It’s a good networking system to help you out.”

The Office of Greek Life will distribute bids for all chapters this Friday, between noon and 5:00 p.m.

Summary: Many rushees pretty much know which fraternity they want to join because they got to know them in the fall. They join because of friendship and opportunities after graduation such as finding a job. Fraternities are searching for guys who can help better the fraternity.

Fraternity events for Thursday

Tau Kappa Epsilon

Tacos & Wings @ Washington’s

meet @ TKE house-5:30 p.m.

Pi Kappa Alpha

Wings @ Jim’s Wings-6:00 p.m.

Phi Kappa Tau

Food & Pool @ CB & Potts Clubhouse-6:00 p.m.

Sigma Phi Epsilon

Pizza & Pool @ Christopher’s Pizza-6:30 p.m.

Sigma Alpha Epsilon

Ave’s Game & Food @ SAE house-7:00 p.m.