Authors: Melissa Pester

Since CSU President Albert C. Yates announced his retirement last October, the Board of Governors of the CSU System has formed a committee to interview applicants for the position.

Yates announced his retirement last semester, giving the Board of Governors an opportunity to find a replacement during the spring semester.

“This will allow us to begin the search when the candidate’s pool is the strongest,” Yates said in October when he announced his retirement.

The search committee, The Presidential Advisory Committee, has 12 people from both the Fort Collins and Pueblo communities. This committee, during the months of February and March, will interview and find approximately three to seven candidates to present to the Board of Governors.

“We have a recruiter who is doing his job,” said Don Hamstra, chairman of the Presidential Advisory Committee. “And I believe there have been a number of applications turned in.”

The open position was placed in the Chronicle of Higher Education, a national newsletter, in January, and Hamstra said the work of the recruiter and the ad in the Chronicle of Higher Education have brought in numerous applications.

The Presidential Advisory Committee will look for candidates who possess proven leadership qualities, have managed large organizations or institutes of high level executives, possess successful fundraising skills, have political understanding and connectivity statewide and nationally, can attract and retain talented people and understand academia in 2003 and can relate to faculty.

According to a listing in the Chronicle of Higher Education, CSU’s next president should possess “a strong record of academic and intellectual attainment, significant experience developing and maintaining capital construction and operating budgets, and an appreciation and understanding of academic faculty and academic programs.”

“(The Presidential Advisory Committee) will bring at least eight names to the Board of Governors, and one of those names will come from a non-traditional candidate,” said Beverly Michoski, the deputy secretary for the Board of Governors.

The committee has met twice so far and tentatively plans to meet again on Feb. 28 to begin the actual screening of applicants. Hamstra believes the Presidential Advisory Committee will have names for the Board of Governors by the end of March.

The committee will be in charge of finding candidates to present before the end of the fiscal year. Yates’ term expires on June 30-and whomever the Board of Governors chooses will then take over.

“We’re certainly happy to consider the governor’s views, but we’ll do that within the context of the process that we laid out,” Hamstra said.