Authors: Amy Resseguie

Students gathered a Welcome Back party for international students Friday night complete with a live band, dancing and a karaoke contest.

The party is held every semester at the International House, and is hosted jointly by Apartment Life and the Office of International Programs.

Friday’s festivities included a live performance by the rock band This For Now, international dances, a DJ, door prizes, and cakes and other snack foods.

The crowd of about 200 people got most energetic, however, when the karaoke contest began. Students and staff took their turns singing songs such as Frank Sinatra’s “New York, New York”, Los Lobos’ “La Bamba” and Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody”.

Dan Wienecke won the contest with his rendition of the Blues Brothers’ “Soul Man.” Wienecke, a senior history and political science major who works in the International Office, won a free 30 minute massage at the CSU recreation center.

The Office of International Programs plans many activities throughout the semester, including the weekly Friday Afternoon Club, held every Friday at 6 p.m. at the International House, 1400 W. Elizabeth St.

“We plan things for international students to do, including a lot of social activities and orientation for new international students,” Wienecke said.

Monique Chan, a sophomore math major from Hong Kong, said she enjoys coming to the parties because they are fun and entertaining.

“I really look forward to the dance competition, especially when my TA gets up and does Turkish dances,” she said.

Chan was an exchange student in Wray her senior year in high school. “I decided Colorado is pretty cool, so I stayed,” she said.

Though she just returned from visiting her family over winter break, Chan said, “I miss my family, and especially the food in Hong Kong. But I love it here too.”

The Friday Afternoon Club and other events, such as guest lecturers and outdoor activities, are open to anyone who is interested in attending, said Pablo Loza, a community coordinator in the Office of International Programs.

“We do a lot of different things to try to cover a whole spectrum of the different needs of both American and international students,” he said.