Authors: Vincent Adams

I am a little na/ve.

At times, I give people the benefit of the doubt when they either don’t deserve it in the first place, or prove me wrong later.

Bill Owens and President Bush have both proven my naivete.

Bill Owens

This was the first person I have ever voted for in my life. I was 18 years old and a registered Democrat, but I have never been married to a political party, so I voted for Owens because I thought he would be the best candidate to fix problems in Colorado’s transportation.

I never thought to look at his plans for education.

This man must have a grudge against education. First he started the Colorado Student Assessment Program, or CSAPs, a program where the state tests students and base school funding on the results. Second he has this plan to destroy the state’s flagship school, CSU.

There are many problems with CSAPs, but I will only give you a couple reasons. One, CSAP causes a lot of unneeded pressure on schools, and people don’t always do the right thing when under pressure. I wrote a column a while back saying how many school administrators were caught cheating the scores of students’ CSAP so the schools don’t lose funding.

And – yes, you guessed it -schools with fewer resources will probably score worse, and those schools are the ones that need funding the most. These are generally inner-city schools, and while money is not the cure for what ails most of these schools, pulling the funding from these schools definitely does not help.

Now we have Owens’ “backing” of Holtzman to replace Yates. Now I can’t add much more than what has already been said – check Thursday’s Our View and other columns for why this guy is wrong for CSU – but this guy is not even dried up fecal matter on the bottom of Al Yates’ shoe, so how can Holtzman replace him? And while Yates is a special person and a great president who can never be replaced, we should at least try to find someone who is at least near Yates’ level.

Yates brought us to new educational heights and now Owens wants to bring us down.

Bush</p>

I didn’t vote for him in 2000, but I have supported him. Here at the newsroom we often have debates about many things. Most editors at the Collegian don’t support the potential war in Iraq. Last semester I argued with them saying “we need to get him out … he is an international menace … bla bla.”

But dumb policy changed my mind.

The Bush administration seems content going on with this war without the approval of our closest allies, which would suck, but I still think it might be necessary to go on without the approval of some of our closest allies.

Going on without approval is one thing; dissing your friends is another thing. The Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld, recently called France and Germany “a problem” that represent “old Europe.” He said this because he was frustrated about the two countries’ lack of enthusiasm for the war in Iraq.

This trend of trying to bully our friends in the international community has got to stop.

Maybe we do need to use force against Iraq, but we do need the support of, at least, our allies. And that is saying nothing about support from countries with which we have had our differences with and that are very powerful, like Russia and China.

You never want to go into a fistfight when the circle of people watching is pissed off at you.

Now just because I may have made some wrong decisions about supporting these two doesn’t mean I am a bad, or stupid, person. It just means I made a mistake. Let’s hope these two men realize their mistakes because there is a lot more on the line with their mistakes than there was with mine.