Authors: Joelle Milholm

Junior swimmer Kristen Schneider and junior diver Lori Vigil were named last week’s Mountain West Conference women’s swimmer and diver of the week, respectively, for their outstanding performances against Utah and Brigham Young University over the weekend.

Schneider’s times in the 100- and 200-yard backstroke blew the competition away, as the second place finisher came in almost five seconds behind. She also took part in the winning 200-yard medley and 400-yard freestyle relays.

Schneider then went on to out-swim BYU, taking victories in the 200-yard freestyle and 200-yard backstroke. She also contributed to the first-place finish of the 400-yard medley relay team.

Schneider has now won every event she has swam in 2003.

At the same time, Vigil posted two first-place finishes on the one-meter board and two second-place finishes on the three-meter board against Utah and BYU.

The recipients, along with the rest of CSU swimming and diving team, are now preparing for the Mountain West Conference Championships in February. This weekend will be a good chance to prepare as the team travels to Lawrence, Kan., to take on the University of Kansas and the University of Minnesota in CSU’s last non-conference meet of the year.

The Rams are looking good after their first two meets of the year with two commanding victories over conference rivals BYU and Utah. Head coach John Mattos said he is very excited about the team’s current condition.

“We had a pretty long winter break that gave us a lot of training opportunities both here in Fort Collins and at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs. We had a lot of distraction-free time and the team came together and trained well,” Mattos said. “We are pleased with the BYU and Utah wins, but we are weary of the fact that we still have another conference meet, and then the conference championships.”

CSU’s record is 5-1 in conference and 7-2 overall. KU is currently 7-3 in dual competition, losing to such teams as Missouri and No. 22-ranked Texas A&M.

Minnesota is undefeated in dual meets with a 4-0 record, but spends most of its time competing in tournaments.

The Rams are 1-6 all-time against Kansas and 1-1 against Minnesota.

“Both teams are strong and since we are going into their territory, we are going to have our hands full. I am not too worried about how the team does because it doesn’t effect our conference record,” Mattos said. “We are just hoping that our athletes match up against theirs and it will help us get ready for Wyoming.”

There will also be three divers making the trip, and hoping to add to the team’s score as well as prepare them for the E-Zone Diving Regionals in March. The diving team faced KU for the first time last year and won.

The swimmers and divers all realize the importance of these last two meets and hope to achieve their goal of winning the conference championship.

“Kansas will be tough, but if we can beat them and Wyoming, then we will be looking good going into the conference championships,” Schneider said.