Authors: Alicia Leonardi

Though Colorado may be more renowned for the artistic beauty found in its great outdoors, Fort Collins boasts a good deal of high quality artwork on the inside as well. Several innovative Colorado artists are on display at the Lincoln Center for the next month.

Pat Cashin, a nonobjective abstract painter uses fanciful colors in bright pastels to express feeling. “My paintings tell a story about what lies just below the threshold of consciousness,” Cashin said. “I always find myself turning to the quest of creating from that level of reality.”

The openness of Cashin’s paintings allows them to be interpreted in many different manners. “I don’t quite understand the meaning she puts behind it,” senior journalism major Andy Dixon said of Cashin’s work. “But the vivid colors and non-traditional shapes of the canvases are nice.”

While Cashin’s work dominates the Lobby Gallery, the Lincoln Center’s Intimate Gallery devotes one wall each to the work of Coloradans Michael Allison, Rob Watt, Jacquelyn Harp and Barbara Marquardt.

Allison’s self-described “psychological landscapes” of acrylic and pastel use varying gradients of color, smooth shapes and logical use of light and shadow to convey emotion. “I hope to bring to light some of the visions and issues that are often not expressed but frequently felt,” Allison said.

Watt’s artistic background includes drawing and painting and he incorporates this knowledge in his embroidery work. The controlled everyday subjects of Watt’s work look as if they could be found in the interior of an upscale home. Lincoln Center patrons such as Raedene Combs admire Watt’s work. “It is almost like a very small tapestry,” Combs said.

Perhaps the most visually entertaining work in the gallery is Jacquelyn Harp’s mixed media contribution. Her colorful and classy wooden doors are a collage of various works from famous artists of times gone by the likes of Salvador Dali and Leonardo da Vinci. Much like the book “Alice Through the Looking Glass,” which she has incorporated into one of the doors, Harp’s doors are a dizzying and exciting melding of many different styles in a contemporary fashion.

Near the back of the gallery but not quite out of sight, Marquardt’s oil paintings make their presence known through artful dark outlines containing large blends of color. While at first glance, it is reminiscent of Paul Cezanne, Marquardt’s work puts forth an all-American feel. Impressionistic renderings of the American flag as well as what appear to be the Rocky Mountains allow the 81-year-old Marquardt to beautifully display both national and state pride.

Admission is free and all art will be on display until the Feb. 25.

For more information call the Lincoln Center at 221-6735. The Lincoln Center is located at 417 W. Magnolia.