Dec 162002
 
Authors: Helyna Bledsoe

Thanks to energy conservation programs implemented in the 1980s, CSU has saved over 28 million dollars over the past fifteen years.

“CSU borrowed 12 million dollars in the mid-80s to change energy systems,” said John Morris, CSU facilities manager.

New air handling systems were installed, lighting was changed, and insulation was added to cut down on campus utility costs. Last year, CSU began to turn down the heat in classrooms to help save over $53,000.

“Our first priority is to eliminate energy waste,” said Brian Chase, director of facilities management in a recent energy conservation press release. “We’ve been active in our conservation efforts for years, so there aren’t a lot of quick fixes left out there. Most of what we’ll be doing in the future will require an investment to gain meaningful savings.”

To help conserve water, the University Village apartments installed low-flow faucets, low-flow toilets, and water reducing showerheads.

“CSU uses 95% raw water for irrigation,” said Morris. “We’re working on getting the other 5% (from raw water).”

CSU students should be conscientious of water use, said Morris.

“Students can take shorter showers and wash on cold cycles,” said Morris. “Since we are lowering temperatures in classrooms, students should dress for the weather.”

The biggest problem Morris notices in regards to energy conservation is students in the classroom.

“You see one student in a classroom when they could be somewhere else, using less energy,” said Morris. He suggests students study in places where the light is always on, such as the library or the Lory Student Center.

CSU is a leader in energy conservation and many businesses look to the campus for energy saving strategies, said Morris.

 Posted by at 5:00 pm

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.