Authors: Joelle Milholm

As the semester winds down, the CSU swim team is getting ready for its last meet until January, which will take place this weekend in Colorado Springs.

The Colorado College Classic is an annual tournament featuring five teams. CSU will be the only Division I team. Other teams include the Colorado School of Mines, Metro State, Northern Colorado and host Colorado College.

While the 10 CSU swimmers that traveled to the Husky Invitational will sit out this tournament, the rest of the team will still be attending. For some girls, the meet will be the last of the 2002-03 season as only a select number will continue training after break for the conference meet.

“We are rested and ready to go. They are tapered and all they have to do is shave,” assistant coach Chris Woodard said.

Most swimmers go all season without shaving their legs and then shave right before the last meet to help decrease their times.

Diving events will start the competition off on Friday night, but no CSU divers will be attending. Preliminaries will begin Saturday and Sunday mornings at 9 a.m. with the finals taking place each day at 5 p.m.

The swim team heads into the tournament with a 5-2 record and is looking to improve those numbers. The Rams’ Mountain West Conference record stands at 3-1 and they are currently in third place behind Utah and Nevada-Las Vegas.

After the meet, the swimmers will get to go home before they have to return on Dec. 29 to continue training throughout break both in Fort Collins and Colorado Springs. They then will be competing in two meets before school starts again, beginning with Utah on Friday, Jan. 16, and Brigham Young on Saturday, Jan. 17. Both meets will be held at Moby Pool.

The divers, who finished their first-semester season last weekend at the BYU Diving Invitational, will also receive a short break before returning to training in late December. The team will spend a week training in Arizona before the Utah and BYU meets.