Authors: Joelle Milholm

In two very close physical battles, the CSU hockey team ended up with a tie and a loss to in-state rival Colorado.

Friday’s match in Boulder was one of the finest efforts put forth by CSU so far this season. The Rams entered the third period trailing 3-1 and scored four goals to put them up by one with only a few minutes remaining. They could not hold the lead for very long, though, and with just 30 seconds left, the Buffaloes tied it up. The game ended in a 5-5 tie.

Head coach Brian Sutton was happy with the team’s work.

“We made a lot of mental mistakes and you can’t do that too much against a team like CU,” Sutton said. “We had a lot of scoring opportunities, but did not capitalize on them. I am proud of the guys’ effort and they never gave up. The score was not representative of how we played”

On Saturday night, the Rams returned to their home ice in hopes for some redemption, but they never got it. Both teams came out strong but CSU was unable to make another comeback and lost 6-2.

“We would have liked to do better before a sellout crowd, but I don’t think we were outplayed,” senior Shawn Kallet said. “We played pretty well for the most part. They took advantage of their scoring chances and we didn’t. The puck just bounces different for everybody.”

CSU’s record now stands at 12-4-2 but Kallet is optimistic about the future.

“It is a long season and we will have more chances against CU. We split with them last season and ended up doing better at nationals then they did, so who’s to say what two games early in the season really mean?” Kallet said.

The team is now preparing for two games this weekend against Eastern Washington, the first one starting at 7:30 Friday night at Edora Pool and Ice Center.

“We have not played Eastern Washington yet this year so it will be interesting to see what they throw at us,” Sutton said.

After the two games, the team will have some well-deserved time off before returning to practices Jan. 6.

“The vacation will give the guys a break, and then when we come back we have two games against ex-CSU players to help us get back into the swing of things and prepare for two more games against CU,” Sutton said.

Women’s water polo has best finish ever in Florida

Even though the water polo season doesn’t officially start until the spring, the CSU women’s team is already looking good.

Last weekend, the team took part in the annual Gator Classic hosted by the University of Florida and took third place out of seven teams. The high finish was the best in team history in the many years they have been attending the tournament.

CSU lost tough games to Florida Coast and Florida, who went on to take first and second, respectively. Florida has one of the best teams in the nation and has finished in the top three in the nation for the last few years.

The Rams played a very intense game against Florida State and beat them 9-8.

“We outplayed them and the score was not at all reflective of how good we played. They thought they were going to run all over us and we shocked them,” senior Amanda Kara said.

CSU also brought a B team to the tournament that had a lot of girls who had never played in a tournament before. The team played hard and took sixth place.

“Everyone played extremely well and I am happy with how the tournament went,” senior president Josea Busby said.

The team will not be going to any more tournaments this semester, but hope to host a tournament with quite a few teams in February. The tournament should help the team prepare for a successful season in the spring.