Authors: Willow Welter

John Fielder, a professional Colorado photographer, signed his books and presented a slide show of his photos for a crowd of over 200 people on Wednesday evening.

The CSU bookstore sold out of one of Fielder’s photography books, which is also Colorado’s best-selling book, “Colorado: 1870-2000.” The book of wildlife and nature around Colorado sold out within an hour, although it is nearly three years old.

“That book just won’t die,” Fielder said, chuckling. “It’s sold 120,000 copies.”

Fielder has photographed over 30 exhibit-format and guidebooks, including his latest, “The Best of Colorado,” which compiles photos of 165 Colorado scenic locations.

The line extending from the table where Fielder continually signed his books for waiting fans reached throughout the aisles of the bookstore.

Susan Stuessie, the book department general manager, invited Fielder as part of the annual Faculty, Staff and Friends Appreciation Night.

“I thought he’d be a great addition,” Stuessie said. “Obviously everyone here has some interest in Colorado, (Fielder) is interesting, and the books make good Christmas gifts.”

Fielder showed a slide show of dozens of his photos, including snapshots of sites Fielder said he considers his “secret places.” He discussed color, light and composition while presenting the slides.

Members of the crowd flipped through other Fielder books, including “Colorado Skies,” “Colorado Reflections,” “Wildflowers of Colorado” and several others.

“I’m getting the books for my parents so they can have something from Colorado,” said Kelly Poland, a CSU admissions counselor, who held two Fielder books in her arms.

Other people in line had come to the bookstore for the primary purpose of meeting Fielder.

Vicki Jones, a CSU microbiology research associate, said she has been a fan of Fielder’s photography for two or three years.

“It’s just good,” Jones said of Fielder’s photography. “That’s all I can really say about it.”

The photographer provided one aspect of the multi-event night. Faculty, Staff and Friends Appreciation Night also included putt-putt golf, free Coldstone Creamery ice cream, refreshments, door prizes and discounts for anyone who attended the event.