Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

News flash: Parking is a problem for CSU students.

Many argue, this editorial board included, that there are not enough parking spaces and the available parking options are not very student-friendly.

Students pay thousands of dollars in tuition to go to this university, yet we can’t get parking passes anywhere close to classrooms. Aside from student lots, which are usually around the residence halls, Moby Arena and nowhere near the heart of campus, students can park in the meter lot, which comprises less than half of the Engineering parking lot.

And with the creation of the new Transfort Transit Center in that same lot, student-friendly spaces are even scarcer.

With parking at CSU such a hassle, many students park anywhere and any way they can, which leads to tickets and fines. And now, CSU can “boot” your car if you have not paid those tickets.

Booting cars may be an improvement from using towing companies; students can get their cars back faster and the university, instead of private towing businesses, would receive the revenue from the payment of fines for boot removal.

But using boots could actually take away more spaces: cars would remain in the space instead of being taken away while the individual handles the situation. That could take a long time, making the whole process more of a hassle for other students who need those precious few parking spots.

Another problem is the fact that CSU only bought five boots. There are more than five parking lots here, and it’s likely that more than five people out of about 23,000 will park illegally each day. Parking services said it will buy more of the $700 boots as necessary, but when does boot-buying become too expensive to justify?

Parking services should use those thousands of dollars to construct more spaces. The now-unused section of University Avenue between Meridian Avenue and the Student Center Plaza could probably accommodate at least 100 new spaces.

But CSU’s aim is to make this a commuter campus, meaning students will have to walk and use public transportation to get to class. While public transit is a good way to solve some parking issues, not all students can use the bus and many can’t use buses to get to work. Riding Transfort may mean a longer commute and some people don’t have that time.

The boot is a possible cost-friendly option for students and the university, but the probable hassles outweigh the potential benefits. Parking services should spend its money on something that would better serve all students – namely, figuring out more places for us to leave our cars.