Authors: Joelle Milholm

While most students at CSU were heading home and getting ready for Thanksgiving, the hockey team was busy adding more victories to its already impressive record.

The Rams faced off against Metro State on Friday night, winning 9-4. They then played Wyoming and also beat them, this time by a score of 3-1.

The wins bumped CSU’s record to 12-3-1. Senior president Shawn Kallet was happy to win but wished the team would have played better.

“We played good enough to win, but that’s about it. We were kind of lazy,” Kallet said.

The Rams are now looking ahead to this weekend when they play the in-state rival Buffaloes. Even though the rivalry is very intense between the two schools in all sports, hockey games between the two are the definition of a great rivalry.

Two games in the past four years have been called in the middle of the game because of too many fights. CSU won the battle last year and Kallet hopes to be ready to do the same thing this year.

“I have been playing for two years and this team we have right now is the most talented. We have got as good of a team as we can get. Now it is just a matter of us all playing good together,” Kallet said.

On Friday night the Rams will travel to Boulder to play, and then return to Edora Pool and Ice Center for the second game on Saturday at 7:45 p.m. Tickets for the game are $3 for students and are on sale now at the Student Recreation Center and the Information Desk in the Lori Student Center.

The team is expecting a large crowd to cheer them on.

“If a student only goes to one hockey game in their whole career at CSU, they have to come to the CSU-CU game,” Kallet said.

Polo teams face tough competition in New York

The CSU men’s and women’s polo teams each won one game and lost one game against some of the best teams in the nation at the Bill Field Invitational Nov. 20-23.

The men rolled past Yale in their first game and moved on to play rival Cornell. In last year’s national championship, CSU won by one point in a tight match. Unfortunately, Cornell got its revenge with a 17-12 victory this year.

The women’s team also got of to a great start and pummeled Connecticut 22-4. CSU was then set to play Virginia for a chance to go to the finals. The game was a nail-biter, but the Rams were unable to get the goals they needed and lost by two points.

Junior Lyndsay Hackman saw the tournament as a great opportunity for improvement.

“It was good to see the competition since it changes every year,” Hackman said. “It is good to play when it does not count and we can see what we need to work on for nationals in the spring.”

The teams will wrap up the first semester next weekend when the men’s team will scrimmage the women’s team. The game is scheduled for 1 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 14.

Ultimate Frisbee finishes 13th in season finale

The men’s ultimate Frisbee team ended its fall season with a trip to Athens, Ga., for the Classic City Classic Fall Tournament Nov. 16-17.

Facing some of the best teams in the nation, CSU was ranked last going in the tournament that featured 16 other teams.

The Rams welcome was short lived when they lost their first game 11-5 to the University of Georgia. CSU then faced North Carolina State in a very close game, and could not come through when it had to, losing 9-8. The last game of the day did not have a happy ending either when Wisconsin, which went on to win the tournament, knocked off the Rams.

Sunday brought better luck for the team as it beat Emory University

13-4. The team was then set to play Princeton in the tournament’s last game, which would determine CSU’s final ranking. The Rams started the game of strong and just kept building their lead until the game ended with a score of 13-4.

Senior captain Mickey Thompson was happy to end on a high note.

“We came out fired up and never looked back,” Thompson said.

Brett Kolinek and Adam Zwickl played tremendous defense holding Princeton’s star player to only one goal.

“When you have to 6-foot tall guys matched up with a 6-foot-9-inch guy and they are winning the battle, it is pretty impressive. Brett and Adam shut him down,” Thompson said.

The win placed the Rams at No. 13 out of the 16 teams in the tournament.