Authors: Helyna Bledsoe

Thanksgiving break is usually thought of as a time for eating good food, spending time with your family, and getting some Christmas shopping out of the way.

But some CSU students have been promoting Buy Nothing Day to make sure Nov. 29, the biggest shopping day of the year, stands for something more than material pleasures.

“People automatically think that we are trying to corrupt the U.S. economy,” said Takashi Niisaka, an international student and anthropology major. “We want you to think and choose (your products) wisely.”

Tim Allen, sophomore civil engineering major, wasn’t too excited about the Nov. 29 Buy Nothing event.

“It’s not going to help our economy and that’s the last thing we need right now,” Allen said. “I’ll participate by buying things. But I see the point of thinking before you spend.”

According to www.adbusters.org, “more than a million people will celebrate 11 years of opposition on the unofficial opening day of the Christmas frenzy.” The plan is for citizens to analyze what they already have and what they need. Buy Nothing Day also hopes to encourage consumers to see where their monetary investments eventually end up.

“Buy Nothing Day is not an effort to destroy the economy,” said Bridget Beckett, senior anthropology major. “It’s to promote conscientiousness when purchasing.”

Beckett wants shoppers to look at the social, political and environmental effects of individual purchases so that consumers can decide if the production process is something they believe in and agree with.

“People will still go shopping,” Beckett said. “We hope that people become a little more thoughtful about their individual purchases so we’re not isolated individuals, even though we live in an individualistic society.”

For more information about Buy Nothing Day, debt statistics and alternative gift ideas for Christmas, visit www.adbusters.org or www.buynothingchristmas.org.