Authors: Colleen Buhrer

Only 33 more shopping days before Christmas, we are running out of time! And money, for that matter. Welcome to the season for consumerism.

Commercials went straight from political ads (thank God those are gone) to ads for Christmas. Now everything is colored in red and green, Christmas lights and evergreen trees. The malls of have been gearing up for Christmas since about Halloween, giving them only about two months worth of taking the public for as much as they possibly can.

Did anyone else notice that we have a whole other holiday before Christmas to go through yet? It is called Thanksgiving, and apparently to the manufacturers of toys, clothes, appliances, games, home furnishings and just about anything you could possibly buy, it doesn’t exist.

They all skip right past Thanksgiving because it does not promote consumerism as much as the other holidays do. Thanksgiving promotes giving thanks, spending time with family and sitting down to a good meal; other then buying the food, these aren’t things that necessarily put money into the economy so the holiday is simply skipped over.

At Halloween you buy candy and costumes and spend the money we should be saving for Christmas. Obviously, we know Christmas tends to be the most expensive time of the year for pretty much everybody in the nation.

This promotion of consumerism seems to be a recent trend. Due to the poor economy we have been experiencing there has been more advertising way in advance of things actually happening. It seems the time between the first Christmas ads and Christmas seems to be growing with each year as the economy gets worse and worse.

Nobody pays attention to the virtues of these holidays. There may even be little children out there who don’t know about the Pilgrims and the birth of Christ. The holidays are all about buying things and getting things and basically spending money, not the other non-expensive stuff.

In the Christian religions the celebration of Christmas was originally intended to be a celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ and the coming salvation for the world. In other religions, the celebrations around Christmas time were usually intended to have religious meanings as well. These things do not usually include buying and receiving as many presents as possible.

The true value of the season has been completely lost, as is shown by the mass of Christmas advertisements already in progress.

Another example of this is the Christmas in July sales seen every year. Seriously, how can this even remotely celebrate the true meaning of Christmas? It is simply expanding the season so that people will buy more things and companies will make more money.

I personally hate the Christmas season that is a result of this consumerism. Going out into public, driving down the road or going into any shopping establishment can be a traumatic experience for just about anyone. Everyone is stressed out, upset about all the money they are spending and just generally not nice.

The Christmas season is also supposed to be about giving and sharing and being nice, yet everyone is horribly mean. They yell and push and shove and say nasty things. The consumerist part of the season is just generally not something I like to be a part of.

So, why not celebrate Thanksgiving? Spend time with people who will be nice and friendly and loving and, hey, get some good food along the way. Why would you want to skip over a holiday like that?