Authors: KCSU Staff

Ari Hest- “Story After Story”

Abby Berendt- KCSU Asst. Music Director

“Every dollar I have saved, every winter I have braved, every road that I have paved, leads to somewhere … I wanna know what life’s all about/ I will get there.” He’s the after-party, acoustic, smooth rock-guy every college-aged guitar player dreams to become. The lyrics of recent NYU graduate Ari Hest are so familiar, it’s as if you’ve written them yourself. “Story After Story” provides just what it claims to be: a reminiscent examination of the commonality among young life. Ari sings the typical break-up reaction in the mellow ballad, “Strangers Again”: “Why can’t everything be the way it was/ before the day that I lost you? I wish we were strangers again.” The soulful folk-rock singer has an intoxicating voice, a fascinating drive, and a passion to sing his Jeff Buckley inspired songs to whoever listens. He’s unsigned, untainted, and underground. Check out his new CD on the Grassroots Show. Tune in from 8 -10 p.m. with DJ Babs for the best jam-band, bluegrass and southern pop this side of the Mississppi.

Talib Kweli- “Quality”

Rebecca Rodriguez- KCSU Urban Director

Talib Kweli’s latest LP, “Quality,” is a very colorful creation. The songs pull from many styles of music including neo-soul, reggae and even a touch of disco. The musical backing is only the base of the upbeat, yet laid-back groove. If you are familiar with this artist, you know that Talib Kweli’s poetic lyrics consistently flow with positive messages. In “Quality,” Kweli brings his friends along; Mos Def, Black Thought, Pharoahe Monch, DJ Quik and Bilal are some of the voices that are featured throughout the production. Talib Kweli, along with his invited entourage presents an intriguing sound with a vibe that a listener can easily adopt. The smooth flow, thoughtful content and easy-going music all compliment each other to bring this album to the fifth star. Check out Talib Kweli’s new CD this Saturday on Low CO Jumpoff. Get your groove with The Lady in the Amp every Saturday from 8 -10 p.m. for the best hip-hop on the dial.

The Hope Conspiracy- “Endnote”

Peter Fryer- KCSU Metal Director

If I had to sum this album up in two words I’d say, “IT’S PISSED!!!” That’s all you really need to know. You’re not going to find daisies or sunshine on The Hope Conspiracy’s sophomore release. Allow me to illustrate with some lyrics: this is the white noise of frustration and despair / drive a knife all the way and let ’em know we are/ the ones that stick it out/ the ones that never run. As for the aesthetics of this album, the music is very tight, nothing super new as far as hardcore goes, but definitely not banal. The voice sounds almost like it was recorded in a hallway, but that by no means detracts from the record. If you like your music heavy, screaming, pissed and fast, look no further. To quote another lyric: Defiant hearts beat as one! Check out The Hope Conspiracy on The Dreadful Hours every Tuesday from 8 -10 p.m.

My Chemical Romance- “I Brought You My Bullets You Brought Me Your Love”

John Holland- KCSU News Director

There is a huge buzz surrounding My Chemical Romance. Geoff Rickly of fellow Jersey emo band Thursday produced the album, so immediately it has some amount of talent associated with it. Along with what I have heard about their live show, I was expecting a lot. The band members are definitely talented themselves and their metal influences come out very intensely, yet it’s missing something. It’s as if they looked at what worked for all the other up and coming emo bands and tried to do what they did; except they forgot the emotion, the very core of emo. They go from breathy to screaming vocals, their lyrics are cheesy and uninventive and I’ve already heard enough songs that end with the vocalist screaming a line repeatedly with no music. But like I said, they have talent and hopefully they make another album- and try it one more time with feeling. Set your dial to 90.5 for the best emo bands on Prom Night- every Friday from 10 – 12 p.m.

Thievery Corporation – “The Richest Man in Babylon”

Kelly Lopez- KCSU DJ

With Latin American, Middle Eastern and Indian (Bindi’s, not feathers) styling, it seems as though Thievery Corporation went to the United Nations and hand picked exactly what would compliment the mellow electronic flavor to pick you up and relax you, all at the same time. Most of the tracks are sans lyrics (those that do have vocals) and those that sound like that of Bjork and Sarah McLachlan. While some of the tracks can seem repetitive, it seems to add to the trance feel of the disk. “The Richest Man in Babylon” knows how to set a mood. Guys, this is the CD you conveniently have playing in the car when you pick up that special lady for that special date. Ladies, “The Richest Man in Babylon” is perfect for that relaxing spa night with your friends. For all your RPM desires, listen to Electronic Expedition and In the Mix. Set the mood with Thievery Corporation and others on Sunday nights from 8 – 12 p.m.