Authors: Paul Franco

The day the music died wasn’t when Buddy Holly’s plane came crashing down. It was when Calvin Broadus, also known as Snoop Doggy Dogg in the music world, stopped smoking marijuana.

My faith in humanity collapsed. If there was one thing in the world I could depend on, it was for Snoop to continue smoking herb. Man, what’s going to happen next? Is Cypress Hill going to put down the blunts and bongs and get jobs where they actually have to work? I can see it now: “Hey, B-Real let’s go burn one.” “Nah, man, I got to go in early to the accounting firm. You know, tax season.”

Is the very structure of the universe going to fall in on itself? If Snoop has let me down this badly, then what can I expect from friends and family? If we can’t count on Snoop to smoke weed, what is there left for us to trust in the world?

There is nothing left for us to have faith in. At this point it’s not even a matter of Snoop having let his fans down. I’ve accepted that, but now it’s more of a matter if his music will suffer from this policy of non-indulgence in herbal supplements. I expect nothing less than for Snoop’s music to make a quick descent into mediocrity.

Let’s face it, when music is in anyway related to pot, it’s always better. There are, of course, exceptions to this rule such as the Kottonmouth Kings and Afroman. In these cases it is possible these bands have smoked entirely too many joints and hit the gravity bong one too many times. This can distort your idea of what does and doesn’t sound good, and results in a very bad and contrived product. Cue “Because I Got High,” music: “I made crappy music, because I got high.”

Now it’s very likely that Snoop has indulged in more smoking of the kind buds than any of the bands previously mentioned, way more. But, there’s a thin line between people who can handle their high and produce good music and those who just get plain silly and make stuff that sounds terrible. Those who are able to tread that thin line with the skill of a tightrope acrobat have made some of the most classic music.

Though the Beatles were never explicit about smoking the wacky tobaccy in their lyrics, you can see a turn for the better around the time it appeared they were indulging their youthful curiosity. So, instead of being subjected to another love song such as “She Loves Me,” we get the wild and adventurous “I Am the Walrus.” Marijuana, properly speaking, more than likely, played an important and most excellent role in developing the Beatles sound.

The collaboration of Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg are a more recent example of the important role pot has played in the creation of some of pop music’s most outstanding works. Witness “The Chronic,” a hip-hop masterpiece that helped to re-establish Dre as a force to be reckoned with, and made Snoop the icon that he is today. The album deftly mixes references to getting blazed with a slow, laid-back tempo to create the ideal soundtrack for stoners. The album embodies the experience of a pothead: a slowed down, lazy world where everything is funny and about having a good time.

Weed helped to make “The Chronic,” the great album that it is. It even put a type of pot on the tip of everyone’s tongue and has been said to increase the price of chronic exponentially. All bands should be concerned with somehow working pot into their musical lives. Creed might even sound good if only they started smoking herb and put a few pot references in their songs: “With arms wide open, I wait for you to pack a bowl.” Well, maybe that’s a stretch.

Good music can be made without pot playing any sort of role, but my only question would be, “Why not make GREAT music by letting weed play a role in your music, whether lyrically or just as an influence?” Because the only way the leap from good to great music can be made is through communing with the god-given plant, marijuana.

That’s why Snoop Dogg’s announcement boggles my mind. He’s seen the highs weed has taken him to in the music world, both literally and figuratively. Apparently Snoop is prepared to throw away all those highs. My advice to him is found in an old proverb: “Weed, weed, everywhere, why not have a toke.” If my advice goes unheeded we can only hope he has enough THC built up in his brain and fat cells to last him a musical lifetime. Otherwise, you can count one fan no longer a fan.